NSW Central Coast Beekeepers

Hi Bill,
I am in the northern region of Sydney here and although the vegetation is marginally different, the climate is the same. My bees share a large national park that runs into Sydney Harbour and also the street trees and gardens of the suburbs. So have a think about where you live, is it in the suburbs or rural.

The rule here is “1 frame of honey for every frame of brood” but if you are unfamiliar with your region then leave a little more. For my Flow hive I am about harvest all seven frames which will give them a couple of months to refill. Generally, I harvest again in late May but it depends on how much nectar the bees have brought in. I leave the equivalent of 3 full Flow frames over winter.

I never feed, there is always something flowering even through winter where the scribbly gums and stringybark sporadically come into bloom. But always keep an eye out for whats flowering in your area, the Flow hive has the harvest window at the back allowing to see how the honey stores are going. The traditional hives are usually checked by lifting the back to feel the weight. As the days cool, the bees will compact the brood area of the hive and then fill the outer frames with honey, this is their insulation. So they may pull honey from the super to do this. My bees survive on these outer frames during winter and rarely consume the honey in the super which unfortunately partially crystallises. A hive mat over the top of your brood box with a gap to allow the bees up into the super really helps too.
I have 7 apiary sites scattered around Sydney, some suburban and some rural, the rural hives do tend to struggle at times from a few factors but I do enjoy the difference in honey you get between them.

1 Like

Hi Rod,

Thanks so much for your comprehensive response. It’s nice to get feedback from someone with your knowledge & experience.

Caves Beach is at the southern end of Newcastle/Lake Macquarie & whilst suburban, we are also coastal but close to bush land as well, possibly experiencing similar conditions to you.

I harvested 3 frames from my flow hive on the weekend for almost 7kg of beautiful honey & the remaining 3 frames are around 70 to 80% full. I’ll see how they cope over the next few weeks before taking any more.

I was happy to know that you don’t supplementary feed as a rule. I’m hoping my local environment will also be fertile enough to sustain my bees naturally as well. Close observation will no doubt be necessary.

Thanks again for the feedback. It all helps to develop confidence that I’m doing the right thing & enjoy it for the amazing experience that it is.

Regards,
Bill Van Oyen

2 Likes

Hi Eleebana bees! Do you have flowhives? I am in Cardiff and would love to connect

Hi, I’m in Cardif and would love to keep in touch and share learning experience. Do you have a flowhive?

Hi there. Yes I have 1. Are you jisy starting? Happy to connect .

Yes, we have had it up & running for about 18 months now. We have a great brood & are getting lots of honey.

1 Like

Yes I have a 6 frame flowhive that I setup last October with a nuc colony. All going well so far, but I know there is much to learn so would love to connect with people locally that share similar conditions and bounce some ideas etc.
have you joined Hunter Valley Beekeepers?
Barb

Thanks for your reply. Great to hear that you are having success. I am really enjoying the bee experience. Would love to hear your ideas about wintering your flow hive
Barb

Hi @GeekGardenCook @Kloris Im at Toukley on the Central Coast not far from you, i’ve been helping my father with his bee hive for the last 2 years and just caught a swam so have just started my own hive. I have not joined the local bee keeping group yet but will look into it soon, have you joined any local groups or connected with any local bee keepers yet?

Hi Hayley,

Thanks for the contact.

I’ve been pretty much isolated where I am at Caves Beach - I joined the Hunter valley beekeepers association which meets last Sunday of the month at the Botanic Gardens near Raymond Terrace (45 min drive for me), but haven’t been for nearly 12 months - I was a bit disheartened by the meetings as they spent the best part of 2 hours on procedural guff & not much on the bees themselves, which was my main interest - thought I might learn something. Finding a mentor was also unsuccessful, more because of my sex than my location. All new female members only had to ask & they had men falling over themselves with offers of mentorship. So I’ve been going it alone. Plus I’ve been away & had a friend keeping an eye on things.

I also had plans of visiting the Central coast club that meets on Wednesday’s at Gosford - similar drive, but hopefully better organised club.

How exciting getting a swarm to start you off. I bought all my gear & my bees, and have found that bee keeping really gets into your blood, not so much for the honey output, but just what amazing beings they are.

I’m in Qld at the moment on my way home from WA, but my wife has broken her leg so won’t be home until mid September. I’d like to contact you then & maybe compare notes etc about our bees if you’re interested.

Meanwhile, enjoy beekeeping.

(PS my parents lived at Gorokan for many years so I’ve done my share of traveling in your direction during that time)

Regards,
Bill Van Oyen

1 Like

Hi, I live in Taree Mid North Coast NSW - am a newbie. Expecting my Flow Hive and bees to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Would like to keep in touch with others for advice and guidance

Hi Christina, Happy to stay in touch. I have had mine around 5 years now. Love it.

Thanks Gillian - I’m looking forward to the arrival of my hive and bees and no doubt will be back in touch after that