Hello from Newcastle Australia

just wondering if there is anyone else local to me ??

Lots of people!!! :smile:

Sorry, I have a wicked sense of humour. OK, I know you probably mean Flow hive beekeepers. I am sure I have seen others mention Newcastle, but the are tons of forum members in NSW, so you should have plenty of sensible replies here. :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn, nothing wrong with a good sense of humour, it makes joining a group more fun. I’m only new to beekeeping although I did do a fair bit of research before I took the plunge. Just need to pick the brains of the locals to see if I need to worry about my hive (bit of an overthinker here). cheers.

2 Likes

If you use the search tool at the upper right (magnifying glass thingy) and type in Newcastle, you will find a lot of posts from locals. Just type in their screen name into a message, with an @ symbol in front of it, like @Helga, and the forum will let them know you want to chat.

Oh, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi! i am in newcastle!

Hi, how long have you been keeping bees? I’m very new and would like to find out how best to look after my hive with local knowledge.

Sorry Helga - I have only just seen this message! I am very new as well! I only got my bees in March so I am still learning as well. I am in Lake Maquarie and am open to connecting! Where are you based?

1 Like

I’m sure KimM would love to meet up with you and you maybe help each other along the way, she is at Lake Macquarie too. It can be a big help having 2 pairs of eyes and being able to work along together can be a real confidence boost too.
Cheers, Peter

1 Like

Hi Helga,
Sorry to be a long time replying. I’m in Woodrising down on Lake Mac.
Peter48 mentioned me but the ‘she is at Lake Mac’ should be ‘he is…’ My whiskers are a bit of a giveaway. :slight_smile:

I joined up with the local beekeeper group at the botanical gardens out at Heatherbrae and found some very helpful people.

Kim

3 Likes

Sorry Kim for assuming you are a lass. Funny how many of us guys who are bee keepers tend not to shave regularly. :smiley::smiley:

1 Like

Sorry I missed your message. I’m at Fletcher and happy to connect. I’ve only had my hive since early December 2018, so not quite a year. Had lots of troubles and hoping we’ve turned a corner and looking to put my super back on now numbers have recovered next week. Look forward to hearing from you. :slight_smile:

Hi Kim, good to hear from you. I’m in Fletcher so not too far away. I am looking to join up with the group at Heatherbrae also, just haven’t got round to it. Think I will get on to that this week though. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Helga,
the meetings are on the 4th sunday each month - I think it’s 10am. I’ve only been to one as I’m often away but there were 40 to 50 people there on a cold July morning.

There is also a list of mentors on the site. When you join up you get access to the list. I introduced myself before the meeting closed and asked if there were mentors etc and several people came to speak with me afterwards - including somebody I’d worked with out at Bathurst about fifteen years ago.

The club is local but is part of the national association, so it’s a matter of joining both at the same time.

1 Like

Hi. I’m in Aberglasslyn. Only new myself to Honey Bees, I also have native stingless Sugarbag Bees
Craig

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Craig a really helpful and friendly bunch of folks here, A mixed bag of types of bee hives and some interested in sting-less native bees too.
Cheers