Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Perth (WA, AU) Flowhives and honey flow

Yeah, generally commercial beeks dictate the set up and they only use one so that’s what’s advised, 1 x 10 frame full depth brood box. Easier to inspect and manage.
However, generally backyard hobbyists don’t follow the flow nor have 100’s of colony’s to check and often use 8 frame FD boxes (20% less than 10 frame) so, to me, having the extra room gives me a buffer.
Single brood boxes still work, and work fine, but in my area I am predominantly reliant on native flora and I was bitten by the last real dearth so am currently comfortable with my set up. At the time of said dearth there were flowers about and plenty of pollen going into the hive but I didn’t realise that there could be flowers but no nectar in them.
It’s all about location, I very nearly lost a colony during that summer dearth yet some friends down in Mt Lawley were harvesting!

4 Likes

Have you thought about doing cut comb? Either a rough cut or using something like Ross rounds? A significant part of the group I give hive products to will take the comb over the honey.

I had yes which was my reasoning behind getting the hybrid supers. I’ve only had one person enquire about cut comb so don’t see the market for it. My sales are word of mouth, I haven’t gone out of the way to move honey in the past due to my boutique quantities but may need to this season.
I have around 12 honey frames a season and either crush and strain it, which I feel is a waste on drawn wax, or feed it back in spring.
You’re right though, I should have some cut comb containers in the fridge just in case. Does comb honey store in the freezer or fridge?

I just store on a counter. It has only been for a week or two at most.

I know the commercial end will freeze it for a few days to kill wax moth. @Dawn_SD I think had some cut comb process/storage tips.

I did give a few containers away with some discussion on how to use it. Small bite size amounts, any residual wax spit it out, on a cheese platter or toast/bread. They then get the enjoyment and comeback for more. Most people aren’t familiar with it and that is why they don’t request or move past it.

Adam

1 Like

Not bee related.:spider:
Couple of spider photos from the last half hour.
From the laundry.

And under the clothes line.

Yes, more than 8 legs. :face_with_thermometer:
And no I didn’t, all part of living in the Perth.

3 Likes

Great shot of that nursing wolfy.

Now I was going to say" Why is this not in General Chit Chat " when I can’t find it myself except by going through the post.
@Freebee2 can you show me how to get there so I can smack Skegs for not putting the spiders there? :wink:

Oh, so kicking me and the kids off your property isn’t enough for you busso, you want my post kicked off the topic also! I see who you are hiding down there behind the regional travel restrictions.
At least I mentioned Perth in MY post. :smirk:
Get back out there and chop wood.
(Oh and get me a cutting from the mulberry tree while you’re out there. :grin:)
Must be weird without all the city slickers this time of year.

Think I’ll use these warm days and spare time to drain all my hives in preparation for cooler weather.

I thought all you had to do was use the correct category “non beekeeping matters” not post in that thread.

:rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile: :rofl: :joy:

Edit: You didn’t mention the dud Mulberry cuttings. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sixteen days ago I made this conclusion to find supers full of capped honey today. :astonished: Wish to know where it comes from…
Moreover, a drone frame I keep in hive is 70% full of uncapped larvae as well. Last year they were kicking out drones about this time and frame was used for honey storage.

Checked annual temperature plot from my weather station. Looks like an average low and high temperatures are about 5 degrees C higher than they were in the same time last year. Seems makes more difference than daylight duration…

5 Likes

global warming? :rofl:

1 Like

Indeed! Based on this data, air in my backyard will reach water boiling temperature in 30 years! :scream:

2 Likes

A little update since my previous, ahem… “season closure” for those who could be interested in numbers.

I removed supers yesterday. Still not sure if I was right about doing this. But if hives start to burst with honey in the middle of the winter nothing stops me from putting supers back.

Season results look like this:

2 Likes

That’s an impressive set of numbers if you ask me @ABB. Mr Frydenberg would be over the moon with a balance sheet like that.

Never thought about removing my super. I thought leaving it there about half full is sensible over winter. Am I doing something wrong here?

1 Like

Not really. It is just a way I do it currently. I have two brood boxes in each hive and the top brood box acts as a food storage for the winter time.
I haven’t seen any increase of honey in supers for three weeks and with cooler nights they work more as moisture condensers than anything else. So I took them off for detailed check and clean up. I also think they will be less mouldy when spring time comes if stored separately.

2 Likes

depends on whats flowering, if its too hot, and who the queen mates with, if hes a nice or bad boy male bee
ive found the more nasty the queen, better the producer she is
if my queens are docile and calm, usually just average output of honey from the girls

The best hive i had was one of the most nastiest queens my mate of 20 yrs bee keeping has seen…she was truly savage, but the amount of honey i got out of that hive was phenomenal

just my experience

2 Likes

Did my last inspection for the (long) season before packing the hive down for winter.

Stores of both honey and pollen are reasonable. Probably the equivalent of 2 and a bit frames of pollen, 3 to 4 frames of brood or eggs and the rest mostly honey (with some empty space). I also managed to get a shade over 3 full flow frames for harvest, which is what I had been expecting given what I observed in the last harvest.

No drones to be seen and bee numbers down (both as expected given the time of year).

Last winter bee numbers were a little higher so I left the hybrid super on. This year I’ve packed it down to only a brood box and removed both the hybrid super and full flow super. Subject to weather I’ll aim to do my first inspection for next season late July or early August, as I anticipate having to put a super on my mid to late August.

Thankfully I’ve got 4 traditional frames full of honey so I can just monitor the weight of the hive and if I need to I can feed those frames in (or I can squeeze 9 frames in the brood box like I did a couple of seasons ago). (The frames are now in the freezer… No wax moth for me, please!)

The season itself was pretty good… Just a pity I had the issue with the excluder and ended up with brood in flow frames. Live and learn.

4 Likes

Batten down the hatches! The storms are coming!

Fake news Fred… I had more wind on Friday night… Possibly the real wind and rain never made it onto the scarp.

1 Like