Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Perth (WA, AU) Flowhives and honey flow

I don’t know if the combs in the super are set correctly for the bees to join up and fill. Will I be able to see if I take them out individually? Should I reinsert the key and try to turn it if they are not ‘right’ - is it really obvious when they are set correctly??
Springa

Once you know what you’re looking for it’s obvious. Until then, possibly not. So you’ve asked a good question! I’ve responded to another post/question a moment ago for you so I won’t repeat that here.

When you turn the key to set the frame did you turn it in a couple of positions in the slot (i.e. each side)? Some folks have found that if you don’t do that a frame might not always set correctly across its entirety.

I just turned it about a quarter turn in one direction I think. until it clicked into place. Or so I thought.

Try doing that 2 or 3 times, each time moving the key a little. That reduces some of the reset issues people have had

BecW

April 14

How did your inspection go this weekend?

discovered the frames are too far apart and I don’t know whether to leave it or fix it. I’m leaving it for now.

I would fix it ASAP. Just scrape it off with a hive tool. If you leave it, it will get much harder to fix over time. Then when you try to pull that frame or an adjacent one out, the bulging comb will likely scrape and damage the comb on the frame next to it.

3 Likes

Anyone that lives NoR should consider taking a look at this and popping along for a visit:

http://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/events/event/442/busy_bees_at_wanneroo_regional_museum

• Date: 13th April 2019 - 28th April 2019
  • Every day
  • Location: Wanneroo Museum, Wanneroo Library and Cultural Centre, 3 Rocca Way, Wanneroo
  • Cost: Free

Child with bee hive honey

Join us for some unbee-lievable kid’s activities at the Wanneroo Regional Museum this April School Holidays.

Museum opening hours

• Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday 10:00am - 4:00pm
  • Thursday 10:00am - 5:00pm
  • Saturday 12:00pm - 4:00pm
  • Sunday closed
  • Public holidays - closed

What can honey be used for? What does beeswax smell like? How do bees help the environment? Visit the museum to find out the answers to these questions and more!

With a series of bee themed activity stations to captivate curious minds, such as crafting your own busy bee, dressing up as a beekeeper or playing with some beeswax.

Wanneroo Regional Museum is where the buzz is this April School Holidays!

3 Likes

Thanks Snowy I’ll be taking the kids to that for sure. :+1:

Just got the latest beeinformed magazine. Some interesting articles, worst honey season throughout Aus, Tassie and SA especially with huge colony losses. No jarrah crop and minimal marri, and where it did flower there was no nectar, I feel lucky getting a couple of harvests. Once again it was only 2 of the colonys with excess and none of my locally caught ones have any excess to harvest but are strong never the less.
Marri has peaked but there are other gums beginning to flower so will leave the supers on for the next few weeks in hope but will be removing the supers this year, wsp’s have plenty of honey and I’m still seeing mass orientation flights so maybe they know something I don’t… Infact I’m sure they know many things I don’t. :smile:

5 Likes

The last two years actually haven’t been that great for honey. Three years ago was good though. We live in hope…

It really is amazing how varied our sub-climates are here in the Greater Metropolitan Perth Region.

Here on the western side of the southeast scarp, the girls have done reasonably well. The recent flow has not been a bumper crop, however, it did allow me to harvest the two flow frames I had previously left from the pre-Christmas flow. The girls in the flow hive have built up more than sufficient new stores in the other four flow frames to see them through the winter.

The girls in the horizontal hive may need some help a little later in the year, however, if this winter is as good as last winter they will get through without any help from me.

If worse comes to worst there are sufficient stores in the vertical hive and I can swap a flow frame from the vertical hive into the horizontal hive to see them through until the spring flow.