Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Petal-like objects on corflute mite catcher



Do these tan petal-shaped objects look familiar? I’ve never seen them on the mite catcher before. Also, what are the tiny brown pellets? Thanks.


It looks like wax capping and pollen…


So the wax capping used to cap the cells filled with bee bread, pollen, and honey is discarded when they go back into the cell to use the aforementioned bee commodities (Yes, “commodities” sounds funny to me, too.)?


Those look like brood caps (domed). Bee bread does not get capped and honey caps are flat to concave and wrinkly.


Yes, brood caps. You can see they were chewed open and are perfectly round.