Planting for a bee friendly garden australia

Some more things flowering here now.

Lavender…just trying them out, I have my doubts about how they’ll handle our summer

Tea light protea

Pig face

Claw flower? Local native

Cape weed in the rear (South African import - it is like a carpet around these parts right now - the bees love it!)

Tahitian Lime

Albany woolly bush

Rosemary (upright - foreground) Grevillea (centre) Kunzea baxteri (right)

Kunzea baxteri

3 Likes

Alright showoff! :wink: WA has spectacular native wildflowers…very jealous…Being a Mediterranean plant, Lavander, provided you get the right variety should do pretty well there, once established. You might need to pamper it a bit with a good soak once a week, and then just on really hot days. Doesn’t like wind much.
Beautiful flowers, love the Drosera, do you know genus? And what is that on the Geraldton Wax?

1 Like

Hehe, thanks Kirsten, it’s hard not to show off the garden when it starts doing this sort of thing.

As for the lavender a weekly deep watering I might be able to manage, maybe. The really hot days would be what, over 35 degrees? That pretty much is every day from late December to mid-March here.Those months are also very windy, so yep, it’s a hot windy dry summer. We’ll see how they go, but I don’t hold out much hope really.

I had to google Drosera, and I’m assuming you mean the delicate little white single flower 9 photos up from here? I have no idea what genus it is, or even if it actually is one of those. It is a wildflower, it has popped up without any input from me. I’ll go out and find it again tomorrow and have a closer look at it. Thanks for teaching me something new.

I suspect that is a bit of waspy bug hanky panky happening on that Geraldton wax. I really don’t know, but I got lots of speccy pics of whatever they are doing whatever they’re doing. Here’s another one for you:

Please keep them coming :slight_smile: Vicarious pleasures… Spent last weekend looking at plants & many I’d like to have are inland Aust or WA, just won’t work here, they’d be miserable specimens in comparison to what you have in those photos.
Yep I meant the one with the five petal white flower, the sundew , I’ll keep looking I have a reference specifically for them somewhere, just thought you might have known.
As for Lav. even up to 40 degrees should be ok. Relatives have a Lavander farm & they experience prolonged periods of high temps. Maybe mulch too? And if you can give bit of a windbreak?
Think you might be right on the insectivorious hanky panky :wink:

1 Like

We have lavender in SoCal and rosemary too. Both thrive in our location. We also frequently visit southern France, where they have huge fields of lavender and hot windy summers with temperatures in mid to high 30s. So I agree with Kirsten, you have a good chance if you water them well once a week. We have actually killed more lavender with overwatering than under watering, but it can be hard to get the timing right for everything in a border when you have sprinklers.

In our community garden, our rosemary and lavender is on a DIY drip irrigation system. Just connect a timer to the hose, connect the hose to the kit, and the watering is done without us being there. We have plants in tubs, so this is the kit we chose, but there are plenty of other choices:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JZ51CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thanks for that info @Dawn_SD and @Kirsten_Redlich. My rosemary is very happy and in an even more exposed spot than where I’ve planted the lavender, so that gives me hope. Drip irrigation is definitely the way to go, we have it set up so that in the worst of the dry periods we can easily give the plants that really need it a drink.

You’re right about mulch Kirsten, I’ll get on to that before summer comes. The windbreak is still growing, although when it gets up and raging there’s no getting away from it really. How lucky are you having a family with a lavender farm - now I’m jealous too! Have you considered putting your bees there for the flowering season?

1 Like

I’d just like to add that Lavender will grow happily in Welsh rain as well, provided it has good drainage.

2 Likes

I have spoken with them about setting up a hive on the farm & they’ve said would be very happy to have a few! Only down side is it’s 1 1/2hrs drive away…but beautiful country. Once I’ve got the ones on my place sorted & they need swarm management or splitting will set some up on farm. Will be a good excuse to go away for the weekend on a regular basis. My cousin is keen to learn about bees too, so that will give him some time to do courses/read etc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

An hour and a half drive through the beautiful countryside to tend your hives on a lavender farm. Could be worse. I’m visualising flowy dress, floppy hat, favourite person and a fabulous picnic :yum: …or not. No doubt you’ll be harvesting some frames of exclusively lavender honey. I think you might be on to some sweet deliciousness when you get that happening @Kirsten_Redlich.

@Dee, isn’t it amazing how plants are so adaptable?

1 Like

Love the image[quote=“Jaydub, post:49, topic:2570”]
I’m visualising flowy dress, floppy hat, favourite person and a fabulous picnic
[/quote]

can we send honey interstate?..could post you some Lavander honey…

Not this state with our quarantine laws.
Thanks to them we have no hive beetles. Yet…

1 Like

Strangely Lavender honey doesn’t taste/smell of lavender. A lot of suppliers here in the UK add lavender essential oil to theirs, but they have to declare it on the jar

Thank you Abeilles! Will be a good reading material!

Skeggley is right, there are strict laws about honey and honey products over here. I found a wonderful moisturiser when visiting NSW and tried to order more after arriving back in WA. They weren’t allowed to post it to here. And we had to give up our honey at the border driving back through. All for the greater good of course, and hopefully respected by all.

A photo of the picnic will be good enough :grin:

2 Likes

Yes I realised/remembered after posting this, how strict WA quarantine & plant restrictions are, only to be applauded, wish other places…would follow suit :wink:

Sure, I’ll make sure theres a large spoon of honey somewhere… in photo :wink:

1 Like

Prior to keeping bees the laws annoyed me as it somewhat stifled competition here resulting in expensive plants and seeds also making readily available plants over east difficult to find over here.
Once I harvest some honey I may forgive them though. :wink:

2 Likes

I worked for a grower of Natives predominantly, while at uni, I used to have to do the quarantine papers & respond to people/businesses in WA who were not able to have the plants they wanted/had ordered . WA is also much more advanced in protecting it’s biodiversity, while we here are rapidly losing habitat for endemic plant species (at very least), to a handful of pretty ordinary exotics.
I do envy you, your unique flora & fauna. :relaxed:

1 Like

Rather than starting a new thread, I’m posting this article from CSIRO here as it is related: