Queenless hive with honey and comb

I have only 1 hive which is queenless and the original brood is slowly declining. It is too late to requiem but the frames have honey. The original family was a treated NUC for mites so I don’t want to harvest the honey. How can I save the comb and honey for a new colony next spring? So far no pests. Can I just take the frames with honey and comb out, freeze them and use them next spring. What should I do with the worker bees left? Just shake them off the frames and let them die??

If you mean re-queen, it is not too late, depending on the hive population. You can buy a queen from www.ohbees.com and then feed them enthusiastically. If you have a decent number of bees, they could still overwinter.

If you don’t want to do that, wait for the hive to die out, then wrap in plastic wrap and put the frames into the freezer (store them upright to avoid a mess). If you can post photos, it would help us to give more accurate advice.

Why not harvest (apart from the fact that the bees need it)? How was it treated? How long did you have the nucleus before it became queenless?

How do you know that there are no pests? Have you done a recent mite count?

I would suggest that you join a local bee club, read a ton of stuff here and in books, and then re-group for next year.

Wish you all of the best! :blush:

2 Likes

What Dawn said makes perfect sense to me.

2 Likes