Quick newbie question

Put bees in hive yesterday and I have the entrance reducer on right now. There seems to be a mass at the small entrance trying to get inside. Is this normal or should I remove the reducer? Thank you in advance

2 Likes

The entrance should be 2 to 6 inches wide. You donā€™t say how big yours is, so it is hard to advise in more detail.

As a followup thought, are there any signs of fighting? Also, what kind of feeder are you using?

1 Like

Hi Dawn Iā€™m using the entrance reducer that came with my kit I guess itā€™s about 1 to 1.5 inch Square. Iā€™m using a top box feeder excuse me I dont know the name (wood box on top of brooder box with wood floats). I dont see evidence of fighting just lots trying to fit thru small hole. If I take reducer off then they have the entire width of the brooder box to enter. I hope that makes better sense

1 Like

Also I bought the feeder you had suggested to me but it did not fit under the roof and on a panic went with box

2 Likes

OMG not the entire width of the brooder box but the stand so thats about 6 inches I would say.

1 Like

That is OK, donā€™t worry. We are here to help! (And we arenā€™t from the government, if you like jokes!)

If you are using any kind of in-hive feeder, that is fine. The feeder I suggested should fit if you put the inner cover under it, then the empty Flow super box around it, then put the roof on top. :wink:

As far as the entrance goes, it sounds like you may have a strong package. If you can lay your hands on some paint stirrers, tongue depressors or craft sticks, and stuff them tightly into the entrance, that should work well. You can cut them to about 6-8" long (strong scissors or hacksaw) and stack them until they fit. If you have some Titebond, or other PVA wood glue, once you know the size, that will hold them together and is non-toxic for bees.

2 Likes

Got it. This I can handlešŸ˜‰

3 Likes

Hi Jeannette, when you make your ā€˜craft-stick-masterpieceā€™ you might consider making it about 5ā€ long and placing it in the center of the entrance. This leaves two decent-sized but not too big openings on either side that will help the bees convect air through the box

3 Likes