Flow hive 2 entrance reducer modification

I know this topic has been discussed multiple times, as I’ve searched the forum for the past few days, but I can’t seem to find the right answer. I received my bees Saturday. I wish I had attempted to build and install an entrance reducer before they arrived, but I was planning on just using grass, as some people have suggested. But my bees have pushed out the grass 4 times now. So yesterday I decided to try a homemade wooden reducer. One of the threads I read mentioned that 3 comb guides that come with the kit glued together will fit the entrance. I’ve tried that, and it seems like it almost fits, but it keeps popping out. Now my girls are getting angry at me, and I hate to keep disturbing them. Can anyone provide me with the actual dimensions? I’ve emailed the company but as yet haven’t heard back. Thank you all so much.

~Jaime (Massachusetts, United States)

Can you use 4 comb guides glued together. Then sand it back to make a tight fit. The flow2 entrance is slightly tapered, so you’ll need to sand in into a wedge shape. Alternatively you could wrap two 1" pieces of cardboard around the 3 layer entrance reducer to make a tight tit when you push it in.

Welcome to the forum, you will find lots of help here.
The use of grass at the entrance is to make the bees a bit confused when they leave the hive so that makes them sort of look about and so re-orientate to the new location and learn the landmarks, it isn’t a hive reducer.
It’s good that you have thought about the hive entrance size and there are many reasons the colony will benefit from you reducing it.
I can’t help with the exact dimensions but a piece of wood and a sander and a few trial runs so that it is a push in firm fit. I have found in my climate an entrance of about 6" is about right, and I have experimented as has others by making a double entrance has benefits in better air circulation and protection of the brood from a direct draft.
Cheers

Maybe one of the moderators can help. @Freebee2

Hi @jle323
Sorry you haven’t received a reply on this as yet.
Here is the link to our webpage showing the product dimensions: https://support.honeyflow.com/flow-hive-flow-frame-weights-and-dimensions/
If you have any questions please let us know :slight_smile:

@chau06 thanks for tagging me

1 Like

@jle323 I’m just trying to find out the dimensions of the entrance to the hive as well, could you please let me know which type of hive you have (3/4/6/7 frame, timber type, and Classic or Flow Hive 2?) so I can make sure I give you the correct dims. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like