Rain covers necessary?

We recently set up our hive and things are looking alright, however we live in the pacific northwest- tons of rain! My dad saw condensation through the viewing window and insists the bees are being drowned- I think that the condensation is just normal. Does anyone else live in a rainy climate? Is this normal?
My dad insists the rain is drowning the bees and has put a thick black piece of rubber over the roof. I worry a lot because 1) I don’t think the rain is that bad. and 2) won’t this heat up the hive to much and like “cook” the bees? We’re having quite a hot summer, so I’m concerned.
Anyone with experience who can weight in would be so appreciated.

I think if your roof leaks then a cover is necessary… if you are worried about the black rubber there are other ways to waterproof the roof.

Sandy,
I live on the Eastside of Puget Sound … So I know cool n wet. As I assembled my gabbled Flow-Hive I sealed the cracks n joints. We’ve had a lot of Wet-Days this Spring … Sealing the roof has prevented all rain water from getting thru to the hive boxes below. According to my rain records … We are 3.50" above the normal per date.

It could be fixed easy. I took my roof apart twice to seal n water proof the cedar roof. It was worth the effort. It’s water proof. I used water proof glues then I added double coat of Tung Oil. It looks good n is dry.

A good silicone sealant would work as well. Plus looks better than black materials. If the moisture is condensate n not rain water … You might add one thin penny under the four corners of your "Crown Board/Inner cover n see how that works.

Take care,

Gerald

Penny that a good one, I like your 2 cents worth of help , I"m always looking for a twig to place up there. Thanks thats help is worth a buck. Thanks again heck there is always pennies in my pocket.

1 Like

This is a timely topic for me…we had big rain late in the afternoon yesterday, and when I went to check through the windows today, I saw a ton of condensate.

Some basics about our system:

• We silicone sealed the flow hive roof when we assembled. I’ll go check on that today

• We are running a SBB, fully open because of the 90+ heat we’ve experienced in the last two weeks

• The bottom entrance is full open, and I have a small top entrance, DIY on the inner cover.

There should be plenty of ventilation, and the hive is strong.

I’ll check this morning to see if it looks like the roof is leaking rain water. If not, then I might try the penny trick that @Gerald_Nickel mentions. We are expecting two more afternoons of big rain (.5-.75 inch each day!).

mb

Mbeee,

With all that moisture, rain n more to come there will be temperature variations n changes. I’d guess with all the bees work inside in these condition a dab or so of hive window moisture is going to happen. As drier condition return I’m guessing the condensate n steamy window will return to normal clear. I’ve learned to watch carefully but not panic or overreact until needed. It’s a new thing. And much for us to learn !

Have a great week. I just got my new Flow-Hive going yesterday.

Thanks, Gerald.

I did add the pennies, but the upper surfaces of the inner cover (under the roof) were bone dry, so I decided not to worry too much about it. Peeked under the inner cover and there were lots of bees working away…

Phew…learning every day!

mb

I tend do go a bit overboard :slight_smile: so I put a piece of corrugated steel bent to the profile of the roof line. It over hangs all the edges by 50mm / 2". I also glued some 19mm / 3/4" foam to the inside of the lid to minimise the amount of temperature change and humidity. Seems to be working well.

Good luck,
O

We are gonna replace the roof with a basic zinc one which will not take off during wind day and will not let pass water when it rains.