Robbing screens - when to add them?

Hi,

When is a good time to add a robbing screen to my beehive?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Trish

I reduced the entrance on my weaker hive yesterday because i noticed robbing. It stopped it immediately. So i guess it is very subjective to your situation.

1 Like

I add them when I see evidence of robbing, or if I am going to be out of town for a couple of weeks during a nectar dearth. Otherwise I don’t put them on routinely, I just keep my hive entrances to 15 sq cm or less. :blush:

3 Likes

Thank you! We are going out of town for 5 days and I’m worried about robbing, so your advice was perfect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,
I added robbing screens to my two hives since we will be out of town next week. The first picture is the robbing screen installed, some bees have figured how to use the two top slots to come and go but a majority of the bees are underneath the hive hanging out and have been for two days now. My question is, will they eventually figure out how to use the slots to get in and will they be ok until they do figure it out?
Thanks,
Trish

1 Like

@Dawn_SD Do you have issues with bees hanging out under the hive when you install your robbing screens? The second picture above is the underside of the hive.
Thanks,
Trish

No I don’t, but my robbing screen is a different design from yours, and perhaps allows more ventilation. I use the 8 frame version of this one:

1 Like