Sagging Flow frames

Is it normal that Flow frames sag?

You mean the frame is bending downwards in the middle?
If that would be what you mean, I can only think you need to tighten the wires.
I had a couple of early batches of flow frames where the wires were quite sloppy and needed tightening before putting to work.

2 Likes

Yes that’s it - bending downwards in the middle.

It was indeed the very first release. I only noticed on my last inspection before I sold the hive. I think they only started to sag recently, and they worked just fine.

BTW, how do you tighten the wires?

You can find a video on the flow website where Cedar explains it thoroughly. Perhaps somebody here can provide you with a direct link to it. It’s not hard to do.

3 Likes

Ask and Ye shall receive.

7 Likes

That bandana is priceless. Cedar, a hippy? NEVER! :rofl:

4 Likes

Ah… yes! I actually remember watching that video a long time ago… hoping I don’t have to do that.

Don’t worry, that bandana would great on you! Otherwise you could just get some really long elastic bands and use those on the frames instead. :blush:

2 Likes

:rofl: Honestly, it’s not hard, just awkward. Else, go by the advice of our über hippy Dawn.

2 Likes

I am nowhere near cool enough to be a hippy. The ultra “square” is probably more my style. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Any square scientist is a nerdy hippy deep down. How else could you be a scientist anyway?
Takes one to see one. :face_with_monocle:
You straightened the sagging flow frame with a bandana! That’s brilliant!

1 Like

Amen to that, and vice versa :robot::cherry_blossom::mushroom::petri_dish::dna::crystal_ball::peace_symbol:

1 Like

it would be kind of cool if they could make a new type of wire- with an adjustment nut for tightening- like a turnbuckle?

4 Likes

Is the tensioning of the wires a regular maintenance thing?

Or is is something you do once and forget?

1 Like

We only had to do it on 2 of 16 flow frame sets. All others are still tight after being in use for 2 - 3 years.
We will have to see in a few more years. We may have a few people on the forum with professional experience with those wires.
Have a feeling the flow people would use high quality materials.

Just had a look at my new hive and the wires are quite loose. I have to tighten them.

Well it is actually one of the original flow hives which I bought second hand but unused.

As I recall, Flow shipped them out in good working order but it was discovered that many loosened in transit, which prompted that adorable video. If you got them second-hand & unused, it’s likely that the folks who ordered them just never knew to check the wires. I also had to tighten a few of my frames initially, but they’ve remained snug since.

4 Likes