Show a pic of your setup

Chris, the guide strips were easy to do, and I’d rather have a bit of space than none.

1 Like

That space needs to be less than a quarter inch though

I like the extra space and the box fits with any 8 frame langstroth. If the flow frames are ideally bee spaced, then we just have to cope with how they fit. It would be rather awkward if the box would be a different size. The Andersons made the right decision.

1 Like

Maybe they should just include a couple of spare strips.

1 Like

Hey Dawn, I just did my one week inspection of my hive and I checked my checker boarding and it is going unbelievably great. The bees have drawn out every new frame except for one and they are starting on it now. Every new empty foundationless frame has been drawn out as straight as a string. Everything looks perfect. I have my additional brood box with8 empty frames ordered and it should be here in a couple of days and when it arrives, I will add it on top. Should I take out some of my drawn frames and mix them into my new box or just treat that new top box as a honey super???

Major congratulations, Chris. Glad that you didn’t ned to be anxious about the checkerboarding.

I would wait, and use the usual golden rules. You need enough bees to fill and defend the new space. I would not add any more boxes until:
Every frame has fully drawn comb, and
The comb is 80% full of honey, pollen or brood, and
Every frame is well covered with bees.

Golden rules for a strong hive. :wink:

2 Likes

Got the hive up out behind the pond. Bees arrive May 25th. Everything is starting to bloom. Wish we were getting them earlier

10 Likes

Thanks dawn, that is what I’ll do.

I’m not sure that these gaps around the flow frames are a fault of flow, certainly in the case above it appears that the joints haven’t been fitted together tightly.

If there is a similar gap on the other side, it would appear to account for the width of the spacer. Make sure those joints are nice and snug before putting in any screws.

3 Likes

Voici mon installations Flow Hybride sur un corps Dadant 10, couvre cadre et toit compatible dadant/ Lang

6 Likes

Here is a pic of my setup on the Gold coast Australia. Had some swarming issues early in the piece and it was due to the incorrect tung oil I used to coat the box’s. It did not say that it had petrochemicals on the can but after looking into the MSD sheets online it contained 70% petroleum. I caught all three swarms and put them back in the box and as of a month ago I replaced the brood box with a new one coated in pure tung oil, also added a second brood box to accommodate the extra bees and within 4 weeks I had to tap 3 flow frames because we were going away for a holiday and I wanted to make sure they had enough room to store honey and we received 8 litres of honey.
So for the moment I think they are happy :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Here is my little “Zen Apiary” in NC.

7 Likes

Here is my latest setup. New long hive going into service tomorrow. Bees from the hive on the left are going into it.:blush:

10 Likes

Good afternoon to all!

This is my Virginia Bee yard!

Still a work in progress, Bees are doing great! For only a month for the outer 2 and a week for the painted middle!

7 Likes

Very pretty structure. Nicely done.

I spy with my little eye… Honey-B-Healthy in syrup! :smile: Any problems with robbing? I dislike Boardman entrance feeders because of the risk of encouraging robbing. Of course the Honey-B-Healthy can make that even worse, as bees love anything with a decent smell. :flushed:

Dawn… I have not seen evidence of robbing yet! But am keeping an eye on them for sure. These ladies are going through a quart jar every other day, they are all new packages and I have been instructed by my bee supplier to keep feeding them and was advised to use the front feeders.

I did have the feeder inside an empty deep box above the brood box, but every time we did inspections we would spilled some in the hive regardless how hard we tried not to. as We tried so very carefully to slide it out so we would not have that happen but it seemed to every time.

Yes… these girls get their nutrients and vitamins on a regular basis!

Thank you for your expertise!

1 Like

Bees arrive in two weeks. I hope they are going to be happy here! :honeybee:

8 Likes

Love the Dunny (if thats what it is). Brings back memories of scooting across the frosty ground in bare feet to make make that first visit in the morning.

nope @busso it’s just a shed at the back of the property which was perfect for all the beekeeping supplies. So we set up shop beside it :slight_smile: There is a little creek running right behind the hive.

3 Likes

Are these Flow Hives? They look like our roofs, but there is a hole in them, so I’m not sure…

1 Like