So I went to the ER tonight after 5-7 stings

I totally agree. These drugs are related to the so-called “major tranquilizers”. That name is given for a reason… :flushed: Stay out of the sun too, and use SPF30 sun cream or higher if you have to be outside.

1 Like

Within 5 minutes after taking a third of the recommended dose I’m out for the day :sleeping:

1 Like

Hi Cowgirl

Thank you for the advice. As a novice, we need all the tips available!!

Take care and get sufficient rest before heading out again

Cheers

Aaron

2 Likes

Hi Cowgirl,
I work as a Paramedic with the local ambulance service.

After a recent review of our allergic reaction/anaphylaxis treatment guidelines we have lowered our treatment threshold to patients who are displaying 2 or more signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis, immediately get an intra-muscular injection of 1/2 milligram of adrenaline. ( What we refer to as synthetic adrenaline, Americans call epinephrine and that’s where the name epi-pen comes from)
The symptoms of anaphylaxis include;
Trouble breathing
Hives or swelling
Tightness of the throat
Hoarse voice
Nausea
Vomiting
Abdominal pain
Diarrhea
Dizziness
Fainting
Low blood pressure
Rapid heart beat

Adrenaline injected into a muscle is a very benign drug with with minimal side affects (injection into a vein is a different story), while a severe/anaphylactic reaction can progress to a devastating outcome.

Localised swelling around the area of the sting is a normal reaction. The symptoms I’ve listed above indicate something more serious.

I would strongly encourage all beekeepers to act on these signs sooner rather than later as they can progress. Take an antihistamine medication, use an epi-pen if you have it and seek further medical assessment, preferably by ambulance.

Last week I stupidly stuck my big head in front of my hive and received a sting on my bottom eyelid, which swelled up beautifully. Took 5 days for my eye to return to normal. Swelling was the only symptom I had so I didn’t need further medical treatment, but I did learn a valuable lesson

5 Likes

I am a "lurker"that has learned a lot from you and all the other forum folks. You are all great! I don’t feel like I am that great with words so I don’t write that often but I eat up all the experiences that everyone has shared. I am glad that you will be alright and that you sought help when you needed it.

I have on of those ventilated suits too and haven’t been stung thru the suit. One guard git me when I sat to watch the hives one afternoon with a hard lemonade after weeding in the garden. Only took a few sips then bam, she tagged my arm. Got the stinger out, took a benadryl, put an ice pack on my arm and let my other half know so he could keep an eye on me. I think she was mad because she was working while I was enjoying a cold one! :smiley:

1 Like

This is a good discussion Cowgirl so something good is coming from your awful experience. My wife just got her first bite while helping me check the hive last week. We got one of those ersatz rain storms that pop up so quickly this year while the hive was open so she thought holding an umbrella over the hives would help. I think the large black shadow of the umbrella combined with the storm set off the guard bees and one stung her right near the eye. Big swelling and discomfort for 3-4 days, swelling just gone after about 6 days. We’ve been having discussions about Epipens and other remedies so this is very timely for us. Unfortunately she has a tendency to react to any kinds of bug bites and also has a pacemaker so I’m pretty sure pacemakers and Epipens don’t go together. I think it’s a full suit for her from now on or more likely she’ll just keep away from the hive.

1 Like

What a fantastic idea to treat this as a workplace incident! The hospital I worked in had a similar policy with examining “near miss” incidents and errors. I understand that the airlines and fire departments all use that kind of analysis too. Frank discussion and written policies can result in great improvements in safety and results.

There is no reason why we can’t apply this to beekeeping too. I might be a “hobby beekeeper”, but I like to try to be professional in the way I do things. Reviewing safety can only improve things for everyone. Great idea, I love it!

3 Likes

Consider applying Atul Gawande’s checklist protocol!

2 Likes

In case anyone doesn’t know about this, the checklist is at the bottom of the first section of this web page.

I really think it could be helpful. I can imagine inspections being a lot more productive if one had reviewed a checklist of what the inspection is meant to achieve, before opening the hive.

2 Likes

I agree…the only thing is…how many times have you popped the top and found the unexpected and had to change all your plans?

1 Like

Frequently, but it is still worth making sure you also deal with the things you thought essential before you opened the lid. :blush:

1 Like

I was one of the fortunate ones…until 3 years ago…you never know until the next sting.

1 Like

Any thoughts on why the bees are so defensive? Besides dearth? Are you smoking, feeding? Are they queenless? I’ve been really lucky with docile bees. Also, you know they hate deodorant? Perfu me can be bad too. And don’t eat bananas before tending.

some pretty interesting info here about stings and stinging insects:

This last year was my first year beekeeping- and I haven’t been stung yet. However both my brother and my mother have been stung multiple times. In every case it was laxity about the bee suit that lead to the stings. The bees seem very relaxed- so you think- maybe I won’t wear gloves: BAM sting on the hand. Last time we inspected the bees seemed nice- so mum only wore a veil BANG a bee worms it’s way right up into her armpit and STING!

The lesson: Our bees are very relaxed- however they do still sting! Also they can find there way into just about any part of your body- even under clothes- up socks around corners, etc. If you check the suit carefully- make sure it is all on right- the odds of getting stung are drastically reduced. Luckily no one had any severe reactions.

years ago a beekeeper friend was inspecting my brothers hives on Kangaroo Island. She said to me, "Come down and have a look- the bees are so sweet and relaxed today.’ She was working 10 hives- no suit- no gloves- nothing. I walked down the hill towards her and when I was about 100 feet away bees flew straight at me and one stung me in the eyelid- another on the top of my head! There she was surrounded by millions of bees- Nothing. There I was howling and running for my life. She thought it was because she had been working so many hives she smelt like bees and beeswax and the bees loved her as one of their own. They clearly didn’t like my smell. Being stung on the eyelid is one of the worst places to be stung I believe- though the skalp isn’t that great either… took me two days before I could open my eye. Luckily I am not allergic- as that apiary was in the middle of nowhere- the closest doctor around 90km’s away.

3 Likes

While we are on the subject of stings…
This applies particularly if you get stings into your suit (not particularly into YOU through it…just the suit)
There is reported incidence of increased anaphylaxis in the members of beekeepers’ families.
The theory is that while they do not get stung themselves they are constantly bombarded by very low doses of sting chemicals which set them up for a bad reaction if they ever do get stung.
DO NOT STORE your suit in the house where your family comes into contact with it and wash it regularly.

3 Likes

Dee that blows me away about increased sensitivity among family members. I went looking for some other corroboration and found this interesting discussion from 2012:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-274753.html

2 Likes

Yes…it was talking to Mike Palmer that alerted me to it. His daughter had a serious reaction.
The thread is well worth reading
AND
Look here

3 Likes

Wow, very very crucial information, thank you Dee! Have to have a talk with my fam that they won’t want to hear :sweat:

1 Like

It’s kind of funny to think of beekeeping families:’ cmon kids- it’s once a month sting day- everyone gets a sting. Gotta have your sting… it’s what’s good for you-’

And imagine if the neighbors saw - they’d think it was some kind of abuse- some weird bee cult- and call protective services…

1 Like