Steps to set up my Flow 2+

Howdy all,

So I have just recently finished building my Flow 2+ and am wondering what I need to do say the day before when my bees arrive on site.

At a guess trying to be a bit logical im going to surround the bee house with ant sand as to protect it from ants.

Then the leg cup thingies Im assuming I put ant rid or the like in those.

After that hmmm maybe melt the bees wax and coat the flow frames on both side with that…

Is all that wrong or am I sort of right??

Cheers
Nick B

Hi Nick, my suggestions would be to work out where the hive is going to sit, prepare that spot so that the hive sits at the correct angle. Depending on whether you go for a nuc, or package, I would get someone to help you to properly fit wax foundation into the remaining brood frames. For example: if you choose to install a 5 frame nuc into a 10 frame brood box, fit the other 5 frames with wax foundation.

Ants have never bothered me in over 36 years of beekeeping on several locations. I see them, but they never worry my bees. So therefore I’d suggest to not overthink them. I think they put oil in those “leg cup thingies”.

Worry about waxing the Flow frames, only if it’s needed. It’s been my observation up my way that bees go straight into waxing & filling them with honey without any waxing by the owner.

1 Like

Hi Jeff,

So I have a 4x2 shed setup that use to be a kennel for my dogs, but that was a while ago and we dont use it for anything now. Now im going to use it for a bee house. Its got full walls at the back and half height windowed walls in the front. Fully insulated, full concrete floor.

I am going the set up the hive in the rear section and a small flower garden and trough with water in the front…

Cheers
Nick

Will you have plenty of head room, & be able to work on the rear of the hive?

Im pretty sure yeah… its got a 45° pitched roof so if I put it in the back half there would be at least 750 each side…

1 Like