Sugar shake in QLD?

Hi there,

I’m still a newbee, located in Central QLD. I’m trying to work out all the things that should be done this time of year.

I gather that it’s important to do some swarm prevention, making room in the brood box with a couple of new frames… is there anything else that can be done?

I’m also seeing mention of doing a sugar shake… is this necessary in Australia? If so, can anyone describe how this is done?

Thank you!

1 Like

This is a video from a bio security officer in NSW but probably close to the official method for Australia in general. I’m sure there are locals who know the protocol.

Really there are better ways to detect mites but this is less destructive and requires very little equipment. My preferred methods are to do an accelerated drop count or an alcohol wash.

2 Likes

Not yet. At some point in time, Varroa mite will be imported to Australia, but it is not here yet and thus sugar shake or any other method of Varroa detection/count could be left to monitoring stations now.

2 Likes

“I’m also seeing mention of doing a sugar shake… is this necessary in Australia?”

Yes it is. Check Section 2.3 of your Biosecurity Code of Practice. Haven’t got a copy? They’re free to all registered beekeepers. Registration is required.

Inspect twice a year for mites using either sugar shake, alcohol wash or drone uncapping. If found, notify your state DPI immediately.

It takes every Beek in the country to be vigilant to keep varroa at bay. It’s still only a tiny part of beekeeping for us and worth the effort.

5 Likes

Has the Queensland government approved this code already?

Ah yes, QLD. I missed that. I think they’re still holding out, though the govt logo appears in the code.