Swarmed and came back with queen outside

Now I’m more confused, if you clip your chickens wings then they can’t fly to collect nectar and make honey :grin: :grin:
Seriously thou, I’m with Jeff on this issue. I’ve heard of it of course but never met someone who does it. I’m all about preemptive Early Spring splits and good hive management so all my bees are in my apiary and working for me and not having to compete with a swarm that has taken off for nectar. A lost swarm is not just a lost asset but they will compete with your bees for available nectar.
Cheers

1 Like

I am too. I also heard about this clipping of queens’s wings and I just can’t believe that people actually think of it seriously. That’s why I made a bit of fun about it.

I totally agree with you and Jeff.

3 Likes

Thank you very very much!! It did eventually download. We have third world internet here in the sticks.

That booklet is great, I read it all. I think the link should be made a sticky on top of all threads so you don’t have to post it every time. I’m pretty sure questions about queen cells and swarming come up all the time.

2 Likes

was just a thought. The clipping would have been done by whoever supplied you with the queen.
People do it because it means inspections for swarm preparations need only be done at two weekly intervals instead of weekly, and if you get caught out and they swarm you only lose the queen, not the whole swarm of bees.

Clipping is done at the time the queen gets marked, so early in the season; its too late at preemptive split time. It’s a safety net to avoid losing the primary swarm of bees, not a swarm prevention mechanism. If a failed primary swarm happens, obviously urgent action is needed to prevent secondaries.

1 Like