This Guy Invented A Homemade Beehive To Save The Bees, And It’s Going Viral

Just sharing with the beekeeping community… #respect

This Guy Invented A Homemade Beehive To Save The Bees, And It’s Going Viral

I’ve been asking this question for a long time now: Are bees really in trouble? Using this forum as an example. I have never seen one member of this forum that hasn’t been able to acquire a colony of bees. I use this forum as an example whenever someone tells me that bees are in trouble.

2 Likes

I believe that the bees that are really in trouble are the many varieties of native bees in various countries.

3 Likes

Hiya Jeff. I think the majority of people think only of bees as honey bees. Native bees, bumble bees and the like are not even known about and from what I’ve read these are the bees that are in trouble and curiously enough honey bees are one of the reasons for this and the increased interest isn’t helping…
I think it’s ironic that people think more of honey bees being in trouble and yet they are the introduced species. :flushed:
My beekeeping goal is to have a native colony here. :sunglasses: Meanwhile I’ll continue to plant natives to assist their plight.

5 Likes

Skeggly,

I’m kind of with you on the native varieties thingy. I try to grow native plants around n in my yard since a kid. In my kid hood years I wandered the woods, meadows n region knowing honeybees weren’t the prime pollenators … Really doesn’t take a genius to figure that one … Just need to slow down observe/smell the flowers, as mom use to say !

So many native flowers often need to bees with specialty adaptor (like long beeks/vibration to dislodge pollen) … I raise a few Mason Bees n may try Cutter Bees later. Trying to do my part.

And still trying to get a hang on keeping my honeybees with the wide spread of varroa mites. So far Austtailia now to deal with these nasty critters … Wish we were back in the 1950, 60’s, 70’s n maybe up to the mid 80’s when crap hit the fan !!

Cheers my friends,
Gerald

3 Likes

It’s touchy feely journalism IMO
Cooking was the new sex, then gardening and now it’s bees …honey bees. You just have to look at the explosion of beekeeper numbers.
There is a lot of work going on with other bees that ARE endangered but it sadly doesn’t get the press cover

2 Likes

Bee populations are not consistent across the nation. Just south of me in Alabama, home gardeners are having to pollinate with toothbrushes. So I believe the pollenators are suffering. Here in Nashville the bumble bee is endangered.

2 Likes

Well then I’m having a lot of sex! LOL

4 Likes

Aren’t we all :wink:

2 Likes