Time for a second brood box?

@Hunt4honey Thanks Eva for explaining my thinking in another way for me. The biggest problem in Australia with man made foundation is that there is a lot of Chinese made foundation finding its way into the market and it seems way too much is a mix of paraffin wax and bees wax, it is all about increasing profit by those that are dishonest. Bees will use the ‘blended’ foundation if they have no option but I won;t use it as my bee keeping is as natural as possible.
I also don’t like the idea of not providing foundation as it too often happens that comb and bees are lost in trying to get wonky comb into some sort of order that we can do good inspections.Regardless of how many hives a bee keeper has the aim should be to have hives that can be inspected with as little damage as possible to the bees and what they have done. For that reason I use wired foundation, it works for me here.
The fact is that if I ‘went foundationless’ I would not be able to have the number of hives I have now and I prefer to have the bees do their thing in a way that works for them and me. Having to take to brood and comb with a knife is something that can be avoided and personally wouldn’t feel comfortable having to do it.
Cheers

1 Like

Just so, Peter. I hated having to do it, but if it’s already to that point there’s not much else you can do. After one season of dealing with my first-ever hive’s foundationless mess, I surmised that deep frames are too much space to hazard fresh comb filled with nectar on, and with our particular environmental issues here in the US related to beekeeping practices I feel it’s imperative to minimize toxin exposure in the hive as much as possible. So the next season, I rigged up my deep frames with bamboo skewers set every three inches apart vertically. These prevented comb collapse and cross combing altogether so everybody wins :wink::+1:

6 Likes

@Eva do you get a segregation of comb size ie drones one section and workers other sections? Saw a post online someone used bamboo skewers and dvivided the Frame in thirds.

Interesting, but no I haven’t seen brood types segregated that clearly, just the typical drone comb to the outer edges and towards the bottom of frames. The times I’ve used a medium frame in a deep box in a pinch I have seen the bees build just drone comb from the bottom bar down into the space though.

1 Like

Drone-Worker-Drone

1 Like

That’s what I do! Works really well too and it also lets you do partial harvests really easily.

Cheers
Rob.

1 Like

Ok, so am I to understand that by adding these skewers that it stops or helps them stay on track with not building cross comb?
Also I’m kind of hearing it both ways hear that when I do cut these two frames in half that they’re cross combing that I should do it over the hive so that the bees will lick this back up( first trane of thought is this way)
The second version of this is posted somewhere in here saying that you should never leave honey open like this in the hive because it invites all the back things into your hive? thanks Matt

That pic is a real eye opener as well as a good argument to use foundation that is made of pure bees wax. Drones don’t forage but they do eat honey. But at least the comb is straight. :smiley:
Cheers

It is best to cut the cross comb over the hive so that the bees can clean up the spilled honey and store it in cells. Otherwise you are inviting ants and other nasties that then you will need to contend with. Work clean and smooth, and clean up any mess.
Cheers

Ok Peter48
I’m thinking I will cut/ separate them in next couple of days…
If I put a pan under just a little ( enough to fill a 6 oz jar, just for me and family to sample, this should not hurt them too bad and there’s plenty of time for them to replace my small fee correct?)
When I cut these to separate them does it make any sense to stagger them up in top brood box- hopefully this might encourage them to fill last 2 frames?
Thanks Matt