Video Camera In The Hive?

Dee, if the video cam inside the hive was using infrared, a wavelength range that the bees cannot detect, I wouldn’t think the video would bother them. But I am only interested in monitoring the hive entrance remotely.

I know…sorry
Which is why I gave you Storch to read and Valli kindly found a link for you

I have tried putting a camera inside my hive using a Raspberry Pi with a pi camera 2 noir which is a camera that is designed for low light and does not employ an infrared filter. (NoIR = No Infrared.) This means that pictures you take by daylight will look decidedly curious, but it gives you the ability to see in the dark with infrared lighting.

The cool thing is the camera is super small and connects via a thin ribbon cable so easily slips in between frames. Unfortunately the girls don’t seem to like any IR led light so no matter where in the hive I place my camera it is far too dark to get a good picture.

So far I have settled for placing the camera next to the bird/bee bath I created for them which is next to the hive and on a hot day (which we get often) the girls will often have pool parties.
I have the bee bath setup to my retic so it can easily be refilled and I am currently programming some sensors so if the water level drops to zero my retic turns on.

For anyone interested in watching my girls from the camera I am even streaming it to twitch :slight_smile:
(yes I am a nerd)

You can watch them here at https://www.twitch.tv/balgabee?tt_medium=live_embed&tt_content=text_link
unless its night time and too dark

As for me, surveillance system based on equipment not specialized for it always fails from time to time so i highly recommend using special equipment. Good thing, there are plenty of them to chose from ( https://cosyhousehold.com/best-spy-camera/ ) so you can do it with no extra money spent.

good point and have no idea why your comment would be flagged and hidden. Who is the moderator?

Hello and welcome to the Flow forum! :blush:

Current moderators are @Bianca @Freebee2 and @danika. No post is hidden or removed without a breach of the forum rules. The hive number in your profile makes you look a lot like a bot, but hopefully you are genuinely interested in bees or Flow hives.

Here is a screenshot of the number of hives which worries me:

If we can help you with a question about bees, beekeeping or Flow hives, just ask. :wink:

3 Likes

I hope you don’t think every new beekeeper who is new to a forum is automatically a bot. Every experienced beekeeper started out as beginner. I have one feral hive that is growing fast and I just rotated the hive 180 degrees so the entrance now faces the fence so the bees flight path won’t be where anyone walks in front. I put one of my security cameras in at the entrance so I can still watch them but not getting good video quality, hence my google search that led me to this thread. And, as I went through the comments, I couldn’t understand why the comment I replied to had been hidden since it doesn’t seem to violate any rule and, if it did, I would be curious to what rule that is so I can be aware. I hope not all moderators of this forum are so quick to judge and accuse new members. Not very welcoming if you ask me. And, yes, I have a flow hive, too. I just put the flow super on at the same time as I rotated the brood box, as they had finally filled it to about 90% capacity. I joined this forum to get tips on flow hives since I am new. excuse me. But thanks for alerting me to the fact that I needed to update my profile. I had no idea I even had one since I am new to this blog. Just blown away by your rudeness.

Bots don’t have videos of their bees.

1 Like

No, I am not that trusted, nor an employee of Flow. However, putting such a weird alphanumeric in as your hive count is very odd…

:thinking:

I try not to be judgmental, but this forum gets multiple spam bot posts every month. Your profile made my antennae twitch, but not enough to flag your post. I can be wrong too! :blush:

2 Likes

I didn’t put that in, Dawn. Have no idea how that happened and had no idea that I even had a profile. I updated it, though. And no excuse for you to be so rude to a new member.

Sorry that you see it that way. I had no intention to be rude. I will shut up now

Welcome Sally,

Sorry about the misunderstanding re: the number of hives, it does look odd but must have been some sort of computer glitch or something! Don’t worry these things are usually quickly sorted out.

I feel I must jump in and defend/properly introduce you to Dawn, who has been over the years one of our most helpful members of the forum and who is just an incredibly lovely and knowledgeable beekeeper and very generous in sharing her experience with newbees. I am confident you will find this too as you get to know her better through further interactions on the forum. Sometimes things don’t come across quite as intended without body language and facial expressions! A shortfall of social media which can also be so useful in facilitating global communities.

Enjoy your time on the forum Sally :slight_smile:
All the best, Free (Flow Team)

6 Likes

Thank you for the nice message. I appreciate it very much. And I am sorry Dawn and I got off on the wrong foot and look forward to friendly discussions and learning from everyone. xxxxooo

6 Likes

I’m sure you’ll learn (and share) so much useful stuff here and hope you’ll thoroughly enjoy the discussions :slight_smile: Thanks for the message Sally. :sunflower: :honeybee:

2 Likes