Anyone installed a Camera in hive

On one of the forums some was asking whether any one has installed a camera inside their hive. Wanted to know if any fellow FlowHivers have tried it. And what camera did they use

The Australian sentinel/bait hives have cameras in them (infrared) with movement sensors to track when a colony moves in:

Unfortunately I couldn’t find a photo of the camera installation, but it sits in one of the lower corners in a a pyramid shaped box (ie. the corner makes the pyramid with the flat surface for the camera). The design encroaches a bit on the frame space. It wouldn’t be difficult to add one in… but the view may not be particularly exciting.

3 Likes

I’ve looked at doing just this. I recently got a small camera off ebay and if I have any luck I’ll post how it goes. I did find an expensive solution when googling but nothing on the reasonable side of affordable

1 Like

Probably not exactly what you’re after, but here is some footage from inside one of my temporary bait hives.

For comparison, here is the footage from the outside

2 Likes

The camera from eBay is no good inside the hive, but positioned at the entrance it is ok (it can also stream direct to your phone).

I can’t figure out how to post a video (short of posting it to youtube and then giving a link) so if anyone can let know how I can post an example of the footage. The camera used was only AUD30 from eBay.

1 Like

I have pretty good wifi range to my hive so I setup an old outdoor ip camera looking at the entrance to my flow hive. Basically as a security cam so I can check on my bees while I am at work.
It works really well. I am also waiting on a macro lense to arrive so I can get better focus close up shots.
The camera is white and they do not even notice it. When I move the camera remotely it does not bother them they just ignore it.
I will post some photos once i get the lense focus better. I plan to livestream it in slow motion to youtube if I can work it out.
I am also thinking of putting a small arduino camera inside the brood box between the box and exluder as it attaches with a thin ribbon cable.

2 Likes

I’d be interested to hear how you go with the arduino camera inside the hive. I haven’t found anything too affordable and effective inside the hive currently…