What do I expect 6 weeks after a package installation

I installed a 3 # package of Italians​ via no shake method 6 weeks ago, what should I expect to see in numbers of bees,frames pulled ETC?

There are so many variables. Your location. Did you feed them? The honey & pollen flow. Did you use starter strips, foundation, fully drawn frames?

A good guide would be to take a look at the progress of @VinoFarm’s videos from when he started off. He is in the New England area in the U.S.

Cheers

No, no starter strips, white plastic Foundation I am feeding and plan on continuing throughout the year until next spring 1 to 1 ratio. I am noticing an increase in numbers probably 6 frames fully drawn in the bottom box I had black plastic foundation for the second brood box didn’t know any better so I melted beeswax and painted onto the plastic they are drawing comb in the upper box as well as putting honey there too.A lot of food but don’t see any eggs maybe I’m just not looking properly I know they’re hard to spot.

1 Like

I am in Middle Tennessee outside of Nashville about 45 miles west little town called Charlotte we’ve had a good spring lot of pollen they’re bringing nectar and honey in temperature has not been hot or cold very pleasant

1 Like

Hi John, it sounds like your bees are going fantastically. I have never started from a package myself, however 6 full frames sounds pretty good to me. Bees have a habit of snowballing, given the right conditions.

I’m sure you did the right thing by coating the plastic frames with wax. I’m not a fan of plastic, I think the bees like it better when it’s wax coated.

Are you seeing brood? Larvae?

Mike

I am seeing capped brood but eggs and larvae are hard for me to see through the mask.
I looked while in a shaded area about 4:30 in the afternoon. I did put a second deep on about a week ago and they are drawing comb storing honey in the center frame on top box I have been feeding daily and expect to continue until spring next year since it was a package,do I need a pollen patty?

As crazy as it may sound there is an angle that you need to hold the frame with the sun at your back and get just the right amount of light. Eggs stand out very well against a black background so the black plastic frames should be easier to see them on. I am in my second year right now and had the same problems seeing them. Then one day I held the frame just right with the light where it needed to be and bam there they were. You could always use a small flashlight to shine in the cells. A headlamp may work better depending on your mask configuration.

Fanning the entrance,is this a sign of healthy hive?

| | John_Yeager
June 14 |

As crazy as it may sound there is an angle that you need to hold the frame with the sun at your back and get just the right amount of light. Eggs stand out very well against a black background so the black plastic frames should be easier to see them on. I am in my second year right now and had the same problems seeing them. Then one day I held the frame just right with the light where it needed to be and bam there they were. You could always use a small flashlight to shine in the cells.

Bee’s at 3:00 this morning before I went to work.
Sign of a healthy colony?

If you’re feeding it isn’t honey they are storing, it’s probably syrup.

Correct that’s what I meant