What is this Green Stuff in cells?

Okay, I’m not sure if this image will upload or not, but here is one for all you experts. I’ve never seen this before but while inspecting my hives yesterday I came across 2 frames that showed green in the cells. These should show green in this photo. Also this is on a four colony pallet and none of the other colonies had this. What is it. Bees look healthy and were being bizzy being bees.
If you enlarge the photo you can see how green those cells are.

Looks like pollen. Depends on what’s blooming in your area. Pollen comes in all colors

Yes, pollen can have so many different colours! I was shocked the other day finding blood red stains and red larvae in my combs. First thought of some brood disease. Chestnut pollen!

We had bees collecting blue/purple pollen from echiums

1 Like

Horse chestnut is red - Mine will be bringing in black now for a bit - From the Oriental Poppies

For some reason, I don’t know why, but we’re able to edit another persons title. I nearly edited the title & added the word “Marijuana?” I corrected someone else’s spelling one day.

Getting back to the topic. I believe the green stuff is pollen.

I found the real dark pollen to be quite bitter tasting.

1 Like

I had a similar experience, and posted about it here: Dark cells in honey frame?

Got some nice, informational replies on it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found this on Wikipedia. I like the color chart. I think I will save it to my beek list as it’s a good source for identification. My best guess could be crab-apple trees or maybe onions. Even though Cannabis might be a source, it’s illegal to grow here, so I doubt it that but it could be Buckwheat which does grow wild and in hay and alfalfa which seems to be the predominant crop here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollen_source

3 Likes

Thanks for the Pollen wiki. I am a novice, and would never have guessed that pollen comes in different colors. Apparently I am quite limited in what blooms I have been sniffing…

Many pollens are so small in size and quantity it’s hard to tell. One of the many things I love about beekeeping is the insight it can give you to a spectrum of other aspects of our environment and just how interconnected those aspects are.