What Type of Ground Cover Under Hive?

Time to get the bees. I think I have everything set, fresh water, reducer, sugar syrup, now just bees right?

3 Likes

Cowgirl.

Your apiary sounds will planned n workable ! It’s better to be over done or prepared than have try n improve or upgrade. Have a pix to share. Love to see it !

I’ve not laid down landscape cloth but often best idea. My hens seem to keep area around my hives cleared of weeds n any foliage . I planned a smaller two Nuc holding apiary about 12 ms from my house for temperary movement n storage of two hives only @ my daughter’s house. I only need couple pieces of 5 by 8’ landscape cloth. This site is in a more woodsy bushy location than my Burbs location.

Ta Ta,
Gerald

Sarg,

L👀ks great Bro ! Love your big Bee on the water pan too. I see your using a front entrance feeder … Keep a watch so it doesn’t go dry. I use 2 gsllon top feeders. Last year I did not have enough top-feeders so added a super n inverted several quart canning jars with tiny wholes punched in the lids. I elevated the three jars on two long shims so the bees could get to the jar lid hole. That worked pretty good n was much cheaper than top-feeder supers.

At first my bees seemed to consume at least one or dab more quarts of liquid per day. The girls seem to drink a lot to draw out their honeycomb. You’ll get a quick feel how much fast ! As the bee numbers grow so does need for more liquid. If you have a good flower flow your bees will balance out with that natural supply. At first the girls are using a lot to make comb. That’s a lot of bee comb building.

Your going to really see a lot of “firsts” so
take your time n enjoy ! You don’t want to roll/kill/squish your Queen !

I get my four Nuc’s this Saturday … Pickup is 08:00 at my dealers shop. I get there about 20 minutes early. I will load up the boxes in my pickup backend n secure the lids with tap n ratchet bands so my Nuc’s stay in place n the lids don’t fly off in the winds. I’m going to slide in my SBBoard sliders today n
maybe add a drop of lemon grass oil to a cotton ball n add to a small sandwich Baggie with vent holes stabbed in to let out a tiny bit of fragrance out (no too much or the queen n colony doesn’t like either). Worked great last year …

Well… Good luck n enjoy !
Gerald

1 Like

Thanks Gerald! I am already addicted to beekeeping. The girls are all in their new home and I have been just watching for an hour or so. I will post some pics and the experience in a seperate post. I got the ceramic bee at Tractor Supply for the front of the water station just because it was cool. I can’t wait to get more! Good luck with your Nucs!! Can’t wait to learn more!!!

2 Likes

Yooooo Bro !

Congrats :honeybee::exclamation:️ Your addicted now ! Sure fun n relaxing to watch. When I can’t get away from the Ranch (my mini plot of land) I go out, sit in my old camping plastic chair n relax ! Aren’t they mesmerizing ?! Sure can take the load off your ole Bean/Brain for awhile. Mental Health meds with out the high price of drugs :grinning::+1::exclamation:

Enjoy n we beeeeee waiting for a sweet report n a pix or two as you have time !

Cheers,
Gerald

4 Likes

I just picked up a 20" x 10’ roll of aluminum flashing for about $15. It will cover multiple hive tops.