Honeyflow.com | FAQ's |

Bricks under flow hive or not

Hello, I am hoping to setup my hive in the next few days. And unsure about whether or not to put the the flow hive on a slab or bricks or just straight onto lawn.
I have the flow hive 2 so it comes with the legs.
Thanks.

Hi there. Two things. Although it has been a relatively mild winter so far this is not the right time to set up a hive.

Best to place hive on a slab or bricks as directly on lawn it will dig in with the weight.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi @eweyfam and welcome! If you have the chance to then definitely make a paved area for your hive. You’ll thank yourself later when it’s time to mow the grass, deal with pests and do inspections.

4 Likes

Thanks for the help. appreciate it, as I’m new to this.

Bricks. And set them at a height that’s nice for your back to do inspections…

4 Likes

Agreed, off the ground, not too high, not too low. :wink:
Keep in mind an ant barrier may be required in the future.

1 Like

I have my hives sitting on stands so that they are at a better height when working on the hives, I have found about 20cm off the ground works for me. About two besser blocks high and and a couple of pieces of hardwood timber on top to use as bearers works well. Using bricks makes a great home for ant nests close to a laided on food supply(your honey) if ants are in your area. A concrete paver slab can work but there will be some bending over involved. I wouldn’t consider putting a hive directly on the ground.
Cheers Tracey

1 Like

definitely on something as the hive will start to tilt and sink into the ground. Also as other say it is better for you back to have a base around just below knee height. And I think being raised a bit is better if you get frosts like we have been having here in Adelaide this month… Also don’t make the classic mistake of having a hive up against a wall- it’s much better to be able to stand at the rear during inspections. You don’t want to have to stand in the bees flight path.

1 Like