When building, one of the ends is 1/4" smaller?

Faroe, I don’t need replacement parts, but Thank you for offering. I’m merely pointing out that my son’s kit did not fit together as easily as has been shown, but with a bit of sanding on certain parts we made it work. Perhaps your wood supplier for the US should be notified if others are having the same difficulty. We made it work and are so excited to enter the bee world !! Again Thank you for great customer service and speedy reply : )

1 Like

No problem :slight_smile:
Some customers are happy to sand, and some are not. So we’re trying to keep everyone happy.
We are passing on all this feedback to our hive manufacturers.

They have improved their production before, so hopefully they will improve again :grinning:

@beethinking

I haven’t received my Flow Hive yet but did order a brood box from Bee Thinking and it took 3 shipments to get part that would work to put it together. I think they have a quality control problem. Hopefully they fix it before they build my order.

1 Like

I have received
a message from Flow that a replacement part was on the way so. Hope it gets here soon.

Have now received the replacement thank you . Still had to file and sand in places to make it fit.

Hi there

Received and putting our hive together, brood box went together fine but the honey super flow box we can’t seem to get square even using clamps. The back panels are not as wide as the front. We left it yesterday to try again today but any suggestions welcome.

Cathryn

Hey all, we got this together, just needed a bit of filing sanding to square it all up.

I just started assembly and following the video directions from the Flow guy who built more of these than anyone else, I am having quality issues right at the start. The sides of the brood box do not line up at all and are fairly far off. If I chisel or sand I can get it together but there will be gaps needing fill. Not sure what to do. Do I ask for another brood box? Will I run into more quality fit issues as I progress on the assembly. My bees arrive May 1st and I still don’t have the frames but I realize I don’t need those right away. My order number is 5849. Suggestions please? Thanks very much! - Steve

1 Like

Send your photos, order number and e-mail address to faults@honeyflow.com and they will chat with you about replacements etc.

Thank you Dawn. They did send replacements very quickly and everything fit nicely. Thank you again for the suggestion

2 Likes

I’m having all kinds of similar problems with my boxes and frames. I’m very disappointed at the initial response from the company. I’ve not been offered replacement parts for the boxes and was offered only 2 replacements for 7 of 14 damaged frame wires.

I understand that milling is not always perfect. However, a great many pieces of my boxes exhibit milling problems, not just a few. The milling problems are also varied; they include chips, splinters, divots and long slivers—most of those on more than one board. In addition, the ends ffit very poorly together. Even after gentle tapping with a rubber mallet, there are gaps among the joints. This product is very expensive and while I do not expect perfection, the quality of workmanship is exceedingly poor. In addition, the Flow Supers don’t fit well on top of my own standard Langstroth brood boxes. The flow supers are less than 16”wide, contradicting the specs. This leaves the width just over ¼” short. To me, this is not acceptable because the Flow Supers are advertised as fitting Langstroth boxes. They do not fit if the flow super does not have the same footprint as the Langstroth boxes.

Also, the insides of the sides of the boxes have narrow spacers stapled on each end and they extend, not uniformly, above the rim. Are these supposed to extend above the rim?

As for the wire around the frames, 7 of my 14 frames have the wire unwound on the end. The company has said that that the cable being unwound does not weaken the cable. That makes no sense; of course the cable is weakened. Cables are engineered to be comprised of tightly wound individual strands. It is precisely the tight winding of fine strands around each other that provides the cable with integrity and strength. I also don’t appreciate the company’s suggestion that I fix problem by removing, tightening and reattaching the cables myself. It’s unreasonable to expect customers to undertake this type of fix. I don’t want a damaged product that I have to try to fix myself.

I’m hoing that the company can remedy these problems for me before the season begins. There is no shortage of skeptics about the flow product.

1 Like

Hi Jose,

Thank you for highlighting your concerns. Since your post I believe our customer support team have been in contact with you to help address these issues and work towards an acceptable outcome for you.

As previously advised, our company is committed to creating the best product that we can, using sustainable resources, and because of this policy have allowed the inclusion of small cosmetic blemishes in our timber work to reduce the impact that the creation of our product has environmentally- eliminating unnecessary waste on useable wood ware. Having said this, we are of course also committed to customer satisfaction and will replace any parts that you feel are unacceptable.

I have also sent through your sizing concerns to our manufacturer for comment and will work with you to ensure that the product that you have received is all that you were hoping for.

If you have any further concerns please do send issues such as these to our customer support team for assistance at info@honeyflow.com

Sarah

sorry that you had issues with your hive- I am sure the Flow Folks will sort everything out given time. As to the wires: really this is not a difficult operation to achieve- and in a way it will give you an opportunity to better understand exactly how your flow frames work. Over some time- I expect that the cables will loosen on flow frames- and users will have to re-tighten them by adding a few twists or replacing them. Of course you shouldn’t have to do it right of the mark- but it is not going to be a super difficult job. I can understand your frustrations at this point- but trust me- if you stick with them I feel sure you will come to love and appreciate your flow frames. I know I do.

on another note:

what wood is that varnished box in your photo above? the grain looks amazing.

The wood is cypress. I bought the boxes unfinished and wanted a different look for my hives than most of what I’ve seen; for no reason other than just to be a little different. So, I scorched the entire surface area of the outside with a small torch, which highlighted the natural grain of the cypress wood. Then I applied 3 coats of urethane. Here are before, during and after pics.

3 Likes

As you can see, you have the option of scorching very lightly or even much darker than what I did. I didn’t want a completely burned look, but just a little. Each one will be different.

Thank you Sarah. I appreciate your response. Thanks for being considerate. I do want to say, however, that I don’t consider all of the issues with my boxes to be “small cosmetic blemishes.” Certainly some were just that. However, in addition to some substantive marring, it was the large quantity of problems that was disappointing. I think that the many pictures that I submitted bear that out. I do understand your point though. For example, I didn’t say anything about other imperfections, like a divot of an inch in diameter on the very bottom edge of the inside of a panel left by the removal of a knot. I also didn’t mention how the 2 rear pieces with the curved cut for access don’t fit together when connected to the sides, on either of the 2 boxes. I didn’t mention these because I decided to simply sand down, chisel out and fill in the problem areas. I think that it’s unreasonable to expect customers to do so much maintenance on a new product simply because the manufacturer (or excuse me for being so direct, Honey Flow), thinks that the product is “good enough” to sell on the basis that naturally occurring or manufacturing imperfections are expected and accepted without question. I don’t know your business, but my experience has taught me the great value of consistent quality control inspections.
Anyway I’ve written way too much. Sorry. I am looking forward to receiving the replacement parts. When do you expect that I will be told the shipment date for the replacement parts? I asked yesterday morning, but haven’t been told. Thank you again for listening.

What you have done looks fantastic.

You can scorch it a lot more, then scrub it with the grain with a scrubbing brush to remove the soot before oiling it. It will give a beautiful finish. That works really well with Oregon (Douglas Fur) timber. Also N.Z. Oregon.

2 Likes

Thank you Jeff. I’m glad you like it.

1 Like

I have a few items in my home I treated like I described. A couple of tile top coffee tables, a book shelf, our dining room table. Also a picture frame.

PS. This video shows the corner of our table. I was wrong about what I said about the strawberry growers. They buy in different types of bugs, not assassin bugs. I also treated our chairs the same way but I didn’t make them. We had a beautiful smoked glass top, but it got broken. I have a ply top now.