Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

White solids in honey

Could be a problem keeping the plastic dwarf out of it when cutting into sections…

The only downside of the Broodminder is the plastic has deteriorated quite a bit on the TH unit where the tab sticks out on the weather. They snapped off after one season. The scales don’t seem to suffer the same degradation. I’m moving the scales to the shady side of the hive so the morning sun doesn’t hit it. Direct sun seems to throw off the accuracy resulting in uneven readings. I’ve changed the batteries once, easy job. Bit of a nuisance getting the scales out to change, but not difficult. Otherwise everything about Broodminder is good. I know from the weight graph that my girls swarmed just before I got home from Europe(bugga). So I’m never going away in Spring again. I love my little spot on Bellbird Hill, quite a bit cooler in summer and above the fog in winter. Cheers Peter

It’ll be a bit chewier and offer the recommended daily intake of petroleum distillates lol

My husband wants me to try a sous vide circulator on a frame we have that has a segment of crystallized honey in it. This model may not be available in Oz, but you may be able to find a cheap laboratory circulating water bath on eBay. I would put the frame in a large plastic bag first, like a turkey roasting bag. Any melted wax or leaking honey would then be salvageable. :blush:

I drained the honey and I am waiting to see if the bees clean it all up.

In the end, after draining the honey from the flow frame, the bees cleaned it all up.