Woodworking and Other Hobbies. Also Stuff we Grow to Eat, Etc

Your way in front with the supermarket shelves here mainly empty.
Our Government in Australia is giving away money which is a bit of a joke when the same government has forced shut downs on most businesses that aren’t providing essential services. A catch 22. Of course the businesses forced to close has caused mass sackings. Price gouging is rampant so the value of money is reducing daily.
Cheers

As a retiree, that’s the most tragic scenario that can happen during these times…unless you have succumbed to the virus…those people have been stampeded over the cliff…and it is absolutely devastating and sad. :worried:

I spoke too soon Doug, we started off nice & green. Now there’s blood everywhere again. Our media will tell us how many billions got wiped off the value of shares today. They never tell us how many billions got added on the good days.

1 Like

Hey y’all! Been busy getting ready for bee season so I figured I would post some pics of elk jerky that I made to pass the time. I have capicola in my curing chamber maybe share some pics of that next time.

4 Likes

Very tasty-looking, Sarge! Nice work. What temp is your oven?

1 Like

The lowest it goes is 170 so that is what I set it at. And I leave it cracked open with a wooden spoon. Takes about 5 hours

1 Like

Hi quality protein…real fan of elk meat…and thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Well, I sliced up some capicola! Catch a swarm cut some meat, repeat! That was the flow this weekend! 3 swarms!

5 Likes

I trialed being a vegetarian diet at the start of the year as an experiment for 3 months… needless to say I’ve just reintroduced meat back into my diet… thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Having moose roast for supper tonight…have a nephew that has a wife that is an avid hunter…and they always are asking if we would like some…of course we oblige.

There is an RV park in Mexico where some Canadians from my area winter…the Mexican owner let it be known that if you wanted a camping site, you better bring along a moose steak.

Are there elk in NC?

2 Likes

No elk in NC my friend. A friend of mine gave me some from a Montana hunt.

Here is a photo of a couple young bulls sparing within the city limits (70,000 population) …a very short distance from where we have one of our beehouses. They like grazing on the 2nd cut alfalfa after freeze-up…and this same field produces a lot of honey for us too.

They have become so numerous and quite a pest…but a delicious one at that!

Goes well with an inexpensive Italian Tignanello red wine :wink:

6 Likes

I harvested my second sweet potato plant yesterday. I was pleased with 1.39 kilos from the first plant, but what about slightly over 2kg!!! from the second plant. Photo following.

2 Likes

I harvested my second sweet potato plant for the season yesterday. I was pleased with 1.39 kilos from the first plant, but what about slightly over 2 kilos!!! from the second plant?

3 Likes

I wonder if it will be cane toad flavoured? :rofl: :rofl: :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Hi Dawn, these ones are out of a bed where I buried cane toads a few years ago. These will be more worm juice flavored. I think it’s the worm juice & worm castings that’s made the difference. The trick now is to keep the rats out of them, which I’ve been successful with this year. Last year they got to quite a few before I did.

1 Like

Well, I have a new challenge for you, then, seeing as you have mastered sweet potatoes. I have started making wild yeast bread (pain au levin in France). As we can’t travel to France at the moment, I thought that I would bring their bread here!

5 Likes

That looks fantastic Dawn. It’s probably better than what you get in France. I haven’t made any bread for quite a while on account that my freezers are all full, mainly sugar cane juice, which I put a stop to for the time being.

PS @cathiemac makes wild yeast bread. It’s something I should try myself.

I’m not buying bread, I’m making pancakes/pikelets instead.

3 Likes

I really, really like the book “Tartine Bread” if you can get it. It tells you how to cultivate the wild yeast, and how to handle the dough, which is quite wet at 70% hydration. Lots of photos, which I found very helpful. Wonderful book - it is more like having a mentor than a recipe book. The guy spent quite a bit of time in France learning their methods, then came back here and set up an outrageously successful bakery in San Francisco. That loaf was my first try using his methods, so you can see that he is a good teacher! :blush:

3 Likes

Jeff, just say the word and I’ll get some sourdough starter to you! I can even mail it as I dehydrated some to keep in the freezer as a back up in case I lose my working starter.

3 Likes