Bee Photographs

This is how it looks when a bee hugs and kisses a rosemary flower! :smile:

California ā€œgirlsā€ are working hard today.

Dawn

2 Likes

Not sure what strain this one isā€¦

However, she was working very hard. A lot of the bees on our rosemary had very marked black strips on the distal abdomen.

1 Like

Your photo shows the lady bug to be glossy, so it may not be the 28 spotter. The 28 spotter has a mat finish due to tiny hairs on the wings & the spots are also on the head & thorax. They are a real pest for anyone growing potatoes, eggplants & tomatoes. The adults feed on the tops of the leaves & their larvae feeds on the underside of the leaves.

Our first measureable snowfall in the NE USA.

5 Likes

Love your hive colors. Hope the bees do OK in the cold and snow!

Dawn

Thanks! Itā€™s all ā€œoopsā€ paint.

Very pretty.
Here my hives are green or camo to hide them from thieves.

my Bees Fanning the Flowhive

[URL=http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae269/oldpom/fanning.mp4][/URL]

1 Like

Sure looks like they are ā€œpassing windā€ā€¦ through their wings, of course! I am interested that they face towards the hive while doing this. Suggests that they may be drawing air down from inside the hive, rather than forcing air up into it. Fascinating stuff, thank you for posting.

Dawn

They may also be wafting pheromones from the Nasonov glad to help guide bees home.

1 Like

Good point :blush: Especially with a new colony.

I donā€™t get any thieves, but Iā€™ve seen the odd young bloke wondering around looking for Shrooms, I think. You need a key to be able to drive in, or a good set of bolt cutters.

Iā€™ve read in recent times that people have been saying that the bees wont go into the plastic framesā€¦ one by a person that doesnā€™t even have a lowhiveā€¦ :unamused:

it only took three days before I saw my bees working the upper box of the flow hive and at that stage, when I changed them over from the conventional box, they hadnā€™t even started drawing wax in the upper half

but hellā€¦ look at them goā€¦ look at that honey going inā€¦ perfect timing on the delivery :slightly_smiling:

Iā€™ve also been able to show my family a working hive on the insideā€¦ my daughter mentioned it again today sayingā€¦ wow, you just never get to see the bees working a hive like thatā€¦ getting down to the bottom of the cellsā€¦ adding the wax to compete the cells and putting the honey in - she thinks its something specialā€¦ and it is :slightly_smiling:

6 Likes

This is one of my favorite pictures I have ever taken. If you like and want to see more, check out my Instagram. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

nice shot, well done :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

Itā€™s like the eggs are floating on air. Neat back lighting approach. Great job !

1 Like

Just got my NUC Saturday morning. What a fiasco and I can say SECRET SERVICE and Obama caused me a little stress :-). After picking up my Beeā€™s in the design District of Dallas, I needed ahead 15 miles north to my home. I typically take the tollway. President Obama was in town and Secret Service an the city police had the tollway shut down at the time I was wanting to get on it, he was moving from the airport. So I ended up having to take back roads with a box in the back of my Toyota Prius. Also I had my mother and a friend of hers in the car with me. An extra 20 minutes in the car due to travel time of all the roads being shut down. One Bee happen to escape, and I could see it in the rearview mirror causing me a little stress thinking what a stupid idea I had bringing my mother and her friend with me.

We got home okay, and about 2 hours later I transferred the colony and all went well. Got them settled in with some sugar syrup and some beehealthy. Now just relaxing.

The other image is of the next morning showing thermal imaging of the hive box. Thought it would be cool to share.

5 Likes

I love the TI :heart_eyes:
As for Obama. It could have been worse. It could have been Trump :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

correct, also a great story

It also shows how much heat is lost through the wooden walls. A picture of an occupied poly brood would be an interesting comparison