A new bee enthusiast in Geraldton

Nuc was installed about a week ago settled in done the orientation. First I thought it might of been new bees doing orientation but I opted to open insert and they all went back in

That insert is part of your screened bottom board. It should always be left in. It helps with hive inspections.

http://www.rirdc.gov.au/news/2014/12/09/screened-bottom-boards-provide-varroa-management-option

1 Like

Hi John, great to hear from you. Are you underway with a FlowHive too?
Deb

Hi John
my mobile is 0438381705
I’d love to have a look at your setup and pick your brains if i could.
I’m in old Drummonds’ so distance is not a factor!
Cheers
Mike

Yes I am Ive got 2 flows 1 with a wild swarm that I caught over 2 months ago when the daisys where in full bloom and have just recently acquired 2 nucs from bee wise and place them in 1 flow and 1 langstroth hive. All doing well drawing comb and bringing in pollen for the new brood which you get with the nuc. How is yours going as the sugar gum trees are flowering and the Grevilleas are blooming which the bees seem to love atm.

Yes no worries. You have met my wife at some stage as she is the principle at wandina ps Di Miller. I’m self employed so flexible in times 0417963954

Cheers John
I’ll give you a bell later this afternoon.
Thanks
Mike

Hi John, sounds like you’re very organised! My first FH started with a nuc about 5 weeks ago, and it seems like they are still building numbers, and beginning to wax up the gaps in the hexagons of the FH frames.
The second FH only got underway last week when I merged two local swarms. Very excited that they seem to have come through with a healthy number of bees.
Very early days…
Have you any honey in your flow frames yet?
D :blush:

Not that organized. Honey/brood in brood box but not yet in super . No rush for they do what they want . Funny enough I left the nuc box outside up 2m meters and near fence after transfer and this morning Ive got new tenants. Yes it good to have the local swarms as they to me have stronger genetics and have already learnt to survive keep up the good work.

Thanks John. Amazing that a swarm moved into your Nuc box so quickly!
Looking forward to staying in touch as the season rolls on.
Cheers, Deb

Hi there, just joined as interested in seeing someone take away a swarm as we are not set up to turn that into a hive, despite loving the idea of saving another bee colony. Anyone wanting to rescue a swarm in our compost bin in Mount Tarcoola?

Hi, you may already be sorted out, but if not Kevin Flynn from Sunset beach may help you. Ph 0477 077 688.

Thanks, will call him today. Bees still here and quite happy with their new home, but we would like them to be elsewhere.