Anyone know what kind of tree this is?

I live in Pennsylvania, USA, and I have this tree in the yard. It was mature when we moved into the house back in 2005. It’s about 30 feet/10 meters tall and I never gave it much notice until I started beekeeping this year. It’s got thousands of tiny white flowers that the bees love. The whole tree is literally humming with activity. Any help identifying this tree would BEE appreciated!

American linden tree

Some varieties of Linden Tree are toxic for bees.
Identify your tree here https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/shared/Documents/Publications/.../BeeBrochure.pdf

Tilia tomentosa, known as silver linden in the US and silver lime in the UK has had a lot said about it’s nectar toxicity.
The rest of the Tilia family I believe are great honey producers.

That is one of the American Linden Trees. I just ordered 6 of them this week. They are a prolific honey producer and one of the few June bloomers.

Thanks so much for the great info! Nice to know the bees have such a great source of nectar.

Basswood tree.

It is apparently responsible for my 2 frames of comb honey with crystal clear floral tasting honey.

The hive was queenless at the time they drew out 2 foundationless frames completely in drone comb

, but with no queen and a basswood flow on they filled it with honey. In 2 weeks they drew out and filled 2 foundationless frames to the point in the pic.

Just harvested them this weekend, most delicious comb honey I’ve ever had!

1 Like