Update on the bear damaged hive; it is finally queenright, but it has taken a long time.
After installing the new queen a week after the bear killed the original one, I checked after 3 days to see if she had been released and she hadn’t so I manually released her. A bit more than a week later I find some larvae and a capped supercedure cell but can’t spot the queen. I left the cell in case the queen didn’t take, only to find 2 weeks later no queen, no eggs and no larvae again!
At this point I had purchased 2 complete double deep hives, so I started moving in a frame of brood, eggs, larvae each week for a couple of weeks, until one weekend about 3 weeks ago I opened one of the double deeps to find capped swarm cells. I took one of these frames and added to the bear damaged hive as they still hadn’t raised their own, and this weekend was pleasantly surprised to come across a huge golden queen that has completely filled every last empty cell with eggs and larvae! She is a gorgeous color, and dwarfs all my other queens, tremendously easy to spot. Next weekend I’ll try and get a picture to update this thread with.