Beginning Beekeeping is NOT for Dummies Winter 2016 class Colorado

Hi Colorado Beekeepers,

This class will be especially helpful for those who have lost their bees and want to try again.
Beginning Beekeeping is NOT for Dummies Winter 2016 class will be offered on Sundays in December 8:30 am-5:30 pm. All day was a little grueling for some people so I’m experimenting with the format this time. There will be a Part A, offered three times, and a Part B, offered three times. You choose one Part A and one Part B. This way you can break it up or do it all in one day (the 11th).
4 Dec 8:30 am - 12:30 pm Part A
4 Dec 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm Part A
11 Dec 8:30 am - 12:30 pm Part A
11 Dec 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm Part B
18 Dec 8:30 am - 12:30 pm Part B
18 Dec 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm Part B
In addition, as part of the class, we’ll have a hands-on apiary session at my house in spring when the weather is good for bees.
The cost will be $100, check (email me so I know it’s coming) or cash. When payment is received, your place will be reserved. Please let me know which dates you plan to attend. Class size will be limited to 15, and we’ll split into smaller groups for the hands-on session.
Classes will be held at my house in S. Boulder, CO 80305. I’ll have coffee and tea available.
The book we’ll use is The Beekeeper’s Handbook by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile 4th ed. Amazon has it for $17. It’s a great book to have in any case. Make sure it’s the 4th edition.
You can read more about me on my Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/pg/BeehaveLLC/about/?tab=page_info (I’m new at this)
The focus of the class will be understanding bees and beekeeping so that you’ll have a scaffold on which to hang new information and a foundation for evaluation and problem solving. I want to get you and your bees through the first year and point you toward what you’ll need for years 2-5. Here are the topics we’ll cover with opportunities for questions:
*Bee biology - worker-queen-drone, development, functions, nutrition, genetics, behavior
*Apiary setup
*Equipment for you and your bees
*Starting with a package and nuc
*How to work with your bees
*Pests predators parasites diseases common to Colorado
*VARROA
*Seasonal management in Colorado

Feel free to email or call or text if you have questions. I’m looking forward to meeting and getting to know all of you this spring!
Cheers,
Kristina Williams
Beehave LLC, mentoring and support for bees and their keepers, Boulder, CO
720-278-6872 (mobile/text)
kristinahoney@gmail.com

1 Like

Kristinahoney, I bought a nuc from Highland Bees again for this Spring. I’m writing to ask about any more classes coming up since I missed December.

Hi Karen,
I have two in Feb and two in March, you can see them on my website,
beehavementoring.com or https://sites.google.com/view/beehavementoring
Hope to see you there!
Cheers,
Kristina