Black Honey from flowframe

Has anyone had honey this black before? (the brown honey is to compare from another local beekeeper) and would they know what local plants might me the reason, I live in the Northern Rivers NSW

4 Likes

I’ve seen callistemon (bottlebrush) honey that looked like tar.

1 Like

Buckwheat, chestnut, tulip poplar and knotweed honey can all be very dark. :blush:

1 Like

If you have red flowering paper barks in your area it is a possible. Whatever the bees foraged on it must be in abundance there so I would be looking in the bush rather than crops or suburbia…
Cheers

might be onto something there were do have a few paperbark trees

2 Likes

Wow that looks like molasses. I love the dark honeys and wouldn’t mind giving this a try! Are you selling this at any of the local farmers markets?

The lemon flowering paper bark is a light color honey but up here the red flowering paper bark flowers at a different time and it’s honey is bitumen black and nice taste to it.
Cheers

1 Like

Could be Bloodwoods, it produces an extremely dark honey. I think you need to make up a floral calendar .

2 Likes

More importantly, how does it taste? Looks yummmmmmm

2 Likes

You sure they have not raided a licorice factory?

4 Likes

Nope will never be that organised!

1 Like

Taste is good, cant really taste anything distinctive so it’s hard to describe

Ahh that’s a shame! Though more for you to enjoy :slight_smile:
Have you seen this already? The honey flavour and aroma chart on page 4 is the bit that might be of interest…

4 Likes

Thanks Ill take a look

1 Like