Canadian Flow keepers

Hello - I’m Jason in Regina, Saskatchewan. I’m new to beekeeping, but have been interested in it for years. I have a few friends who keep honey bees, and they will be great resources as I get started with the full Flow Hive I’ve ordered. Also, there is a good beekeeping club in Regina that I will be connecting with in the near future. Really looking forward to getting into this new adventure!

1 Like

Hi Su
Phil from Osoyoos. I look forward to meeting the Keepers from the South Okanagan!!

Hello all - I’m Pam from Malcolm Island (an island off of Vancouver Island). We’re new to bee keeping too. We are starting off with 2 top bar hives this year and will use our flow hive next year once our bees are established and healthy. We’ve tripled our flower production to provide lots of good food because we don’t want the honey bees to impact on local mason bees and other local wild bees. Here are some books that were recommended to us by our mentor:

1. Beginning: Beekeeper’s Handbook Fourth Edition - Dianna Samataro and Alphonse Avitabile (ignore third bullet page 64)
  2. Beginner Top Bar: Thinking beekeeper - Christy Hemenway
  3. Advanced: Top bar Hive Beekeeping Wisdom and Pleasure Combined - Wyatt A. Magnum

We would love to connect with any other bee keepers on or around Vancouver Island.

1 Like

Where in Ottawa ? I’m in Cornwall , but work in ottawa

It’s a bit sad that when we go to some local groups we get brushed off but on websites

Hi Paisa,

I’m in Orleans, in the east end. Work downtown… I’ll actually be in Cornwall for the last week of May.

Hi! I’m Sherry from Saskatchewan. I currently reside in saskatooon but am planning to keep bees in swift current area. I’m super duper new to this and excited to keep bees.

1 Like

Hi, my name is Daren and I live in Edmonton, AB. I grew up on a farm where my parents had 15 hives which we attended for about 10 years before giving it up for health reasons. I’ve always wanted to re-start with just a couple of hives and when the Flow came up I purchased two boxes. While I do live in the city my brother still owns the farm so this is going to be a joint venture between the two of us. Unfortunately I won’t be getting the boxes till next year which means it might be too late in the season to start them in 2016.

1 Like

Well I’m getting my bees at the end of the month , always looking to meet fellow beekeeper , how long have you been keeping bees ?

Thanks Beeliving … That helps a lot !!
If I got it right suppers are boxes with empty frames… Is that right?
Thx for your time!:sunglasses::honeybee:

Never, will just be starting out. You have a hive already?

Yes I have one that’s I been taking care of for about 2 years but all my bees died this past winter and I got a new hive set this spring , I’ll be getting two five frame nucs by the end of the month

For anyone around Central Ontario that lost all the bees this past winter, I’m donating a nuc. Let me know if you’re interested. Available end of June.

Anyone from Vancouver BC or the local area? It’d be great to meet up with people who are also just starting out :slight_smile:

@MarkJenn I’m in New Westminster and I’m a beginner too. What are you doing to get yourself familiarized with bees? Have you found any bee groups?

Hi Pamela,
We are moving to Saanich next Spring and would love to connect with other bee keepers.
Thanks, Jim

Hello. We used to live in New West but moved to Delta 1 year ago yesterday. Our next door neighbour has an old fashion beehive and she was the on who mentioned the flowhive to us. Every time we see her we ask her questions. We have started planning what kind of flowers we will be planting to feed the bees.

Hi Benergizer my husband and I are newbees too. We ordered the full flow hive and can’t wait. We did join the OCB Ottawa Community Beekeepers and had a very informative visit to VTF Vegi Trail Farm hives that are part of the OCB. Join the group through Facebook and the cost for membership is just $20 by e-transfer. We live out in Barrhaven but plan to have our hive out near Carp or North Gower next year. I look forward to meeting Flow Hive Beekeepers in the area. FYI there are classes at Algonquin College on Beekeeping.

Hi, Thanks for your message and the information. Do you have a place in Carp/North Gower to put your hive? I’ve also ordered the full flow hive, however, I don’t think I’ll be able to set it up at home (having an elementary School behind my house). It would be great to be able to set it up somewhere until I move in the next few years.

We rent but I am sure it wouldn’t be a problem to have another hive there. The is 150 acre of alfalfa next door. We should meet for coffee out there when we get back from vacation you can email me at stapleys@sympatico.ca directly. Thanks Shirley and Dave