Carniolan or Italian?

Hi! I’m new at bee keeping and excited to learn all about it! I just ordered a Flow Hive 2+ and it arrived this week. I need to order my bees but I’m not sure which to pick. I’m a beginner and I’m only going to have the one Flow Hive with two brooder boxes. I’d like honey as this is a project to do with the family and I’d like the kids to see/eat the benefits…haha. So, Carniolan or Italian Bees? I’ve read on them but I’m not sure which will be most suitable to my set up. I’m open to adding a regular beehive set up if I need to split… but I’d love not to have to do that right away.

Hi Kayla & welcome to the forum. I like & use Italians over here Down Under. Only 15 hrs ago @Dawn_SD recommended Italians to a new beekeeper.

I think a good strategy would be for you to join a local bee group to find out what the locals are using, plus they might have a recommendation as to where to acquire bees from.

Please yourself, however some folks might suggest keeping quiet about the type of hive you have. Just mention “a Langstroth hive” for the time being, would be their suggestion.

1 Like

Thanks for replying! I have a friend who does Italian also and with your response… it sounds like that’s the bee I should go with.

1 Like

Hi & you’re welcome Kayla.
Starting out beekeeping can present lots of challenges, which can be dealt with along the way, given the right advice, which we’re able to & happy to help with. Sometimes the type of bee we start with will seem insignificant compared to the challenges we can (not always) face down the track.

1 Like

These are both great varieties and good all rounders with few issues. I’d be happy to say just to go with whichever is more readily available through your local beekeeping club. We have both at our head office.

1 Like