Cockroach control

One way to control cockroaches and ants is to put a barrier to the hive that they can’t cross. Jeff Willard has discovered that no crawling insects can cross Rustoleum’s Neverwet. His discovery was for blocking Hive Beetles as per this video:

However, Neverwet blocks all crawling insects. I don’t have cockroaches, but ants sometimes caused a problem. So I’ve put aluminum flashing with about an inch of Neverwet around the underneath edge of it on my hive stand blocks. This will prevent any ants or cockroaches from getting to the hive. You can see the flashing with some raindrops on it on top of the concrete blocks.

Also, in this picture, you can see how I’ve found to get the right tilt to the hive when getting honey from my Flow. A 1/2" PVC pipe in the middle provides the right angel (less than 5 degrees). When you need the tilt for your Flow frames, just push the back down and put a block under the front. When you’re through, reverse the tilt to keep rain out. Easy!

Also, to keep the weeds and grass from growing up in front of the hive, I put down some inexpensive outdoor carpet. This, also, makes it easy to see what the bees are throwing out and my wife thinks it looks kind of nice :> The carpet, also, prevents Hive Beetles from burrowing into the ground in front of the hive and completing their life cycle.

2 Likes

I’ll see the odd cockroach in a weak hive, it never bothers me. I also see the odd SHB, they get squashed, when possible.

in Australia we can’t buy pure alcohol like you can in the US- which is a damn shame as it’s so useful for many things… nor can I buy a can of gas and regass my car aircon… but then on the other hand- if I am unlucky enough to find myself in a road rage incident- I really don’t have to worry too much that the angry person is packing a semi automatic rifle with a bump stock and military grade armor piercing rounds…

swings and roundabouts

6 Likes

I’m a refrigeration technician and I can’t either. It’s also not gas, it’s a liquid. :wink: Although soon, with the new refrigerants being environmentally safe, you won’t need a ticket to do the job yourself. Provided you have the tools of course.

1 Like

Having never seen an angry person packing a semi-auto rifle nor have I seen a bump stock and the only “military grade armor piercing rounds” I’ve seen were gov’t surplus ammo that people were shooting at targets to use it up so they could load them as hunting rounds. So I can’t say I’ve even worried about any of that. I do see guns on a regular basis, but have never seen them in the hands of angry people.

well I’m certainly glad to hear that.

I havn’t seen a gun in years- except for on police. And yes- I was exaggerating- but my point is I am super glad we do not live in a country awash with firearms. It’s definitely not something I admire about the USA- let’s put it that way.

It’s cars that scare me and I see them everyday too, but they actually kill almost 40,000 people a year here. You read too much fake news.

3 Likes

" The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades."-- http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

It is not a growing problem. It is a shrinking problem. As guns increase murder and assault with guns is going down. Here’s a breakdown of the 30,000 “gun deaths”:
"There are 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, and this number is not disputed. U.S. population 324,059,091 as of Wednesday, June 22, 2016. Do the math: 0.000000925% of the population dies from gun related actions each year. Statistically speaking, this is insignificant! What is never told, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths, to put them in perspective as compared to other causes of death:

• 65% of those deaths are by suicide which would never be prevented by gun laws
• 15% are by law enforcement in the line of duty and justified
• 17% are through criminal activity, gang and drug related or mentally ill persons – gun violence
• 3% are accidental discharge deaths

So technically, “gun violence” is not 30,000 annually, but drops to 5,100. Still too many? Well, first, how are those deaths spanned across the nation?
• 480 homicides (9.4%) were in Chicago
• 344 homicides (6.7%) were in Baltimore
• 333 homicides (6.5%) were in Detroit
• 119 homicides (2.3%) were in Washington D.C. (a 54% increase over prior years)

So basically, 25% of all gun crime happens in just 4 cities. All 4 of those cities have strict gun laws, so it is not the lack of law that is the root cause.

This leaves 3,825 for the entire rest of the nation, or about 75 deaths per state. That is an average because some States have much higher rates than others. For example, California had 1,169 and Alabama had 1.

Now, who has the strictest gun laws by far? California, of course, but understand, so it is not guns causing this. It is a crime rate spawned by the number of criminal persons residing in those cities and states. So if all cities and states are not created equally, then there must be something other than the tool causing the gun deaths.

Are 5,100 deaths per year horrific? How about in comparison to other deaths? All death is sad and especially so when it is in the commission of a crime but that is the nature of crime. Robbery, death, rape, assault all is done by criminals and thinking that criminals will obey laws is ludicrous. That’s why they are criminals.

But what about other deaths each year?
• 40,000+ die from a drug overdose
• 36,000 people die per year from the flu, far exceeding the criminal gun deaths
• 34,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities(exceeding gun deaths even if you include suicide)
• 200,000+ people die each year (and growing) from preventable medical errors. You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital! Also don’t forget 440,000 people die annually from smoking-related disease… Where’s the cry from the left over cigarettes?
• 710,000 people die per year from heart disease. If we focused on heart disease, even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.). A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides…Simple, easily preventable 10% reductions!"

But what about the bees? And the beekeeping?? :smile:

1 Like

This is an excellent thread to tell my cockroach story/strategy.

Cockroaches love slumgum. I have them in plague proportion where I process my bees wax. I decided to start catching them to feed to the Butcher Birds. They love them & keep coming back for more.

I’m catching between 60-130 every night. I put saucepans with chunks of slumgum in the place where I process the wax, then I cover them with the towels that I use to cover the wax while it’s cooling. During a tv commercial, I’ll go out, grab the glass lid, quickly remove the towel & shove the lid on. You’ll get between 6-40+ in each saucepan. Then they go into the freezer.

The butcher bird was a bit funny with frozen cockies at first. But he/she’s sweet with them now.

This has been going on since well before Christmas, with no signs of the numbers decreasing. I’ll see how long it takes for that to happen.

3 Likes

@JeffH I didn’t know they loved slumgum. Interesting. We don’t use any insecticides/pesticides/herbicides around our place and this year cockroaches are a bit more numerous than the last few years. I might have to look at using slumgum as part of a roach trap. I use watered down beer/some kind of yeast for snails, slugs and slaters so it seems like slumgum will be added to the war chest. Thanks!

You’re welcome. They’ve been feeding off the black stuff that settles under the blocks of wax. Mainly because I don’t scrape it off straight away & leave it sitting around. Once I get their numbers down, I’m going to endeavor to not leave it sitting around.

If they breed in my garden, I’m happy with that. I’ll keep catching them for the birds.

That slumgum is powerful stuff, the compost worms love it more than anything else I reckon. The black solder flies love it just as much. So it must stand to reason that cockies love it also.

Just an update. I think I’m making an impression on the numbers. I started writing down the daily tallies. I averaged 90.5 for the first 6 nights. Then 59 two nights ago & 60 last night. Wilma reckons for every one we see, there is a hundred hiding. Yeah well based on that, we counted 20 that we saw. That means we have only 2,000 left to catch. I’ll have them all caught before the month is out.

1 Like

@JeffH That’s alot…!

1 Like

Thanks, I just walked in from setting up the traps for tonight. I want to do better that 60 :frowning:

You can also use a product like Advion (just google it folks) and it comes in a syringe form

Pest controllers use this product and it really does work. All i do is place little ‘drops’ of this stuff nearby the flowhive out of the bees way but more or less where roaches will travel

The little black suckers come along for a free feed, but whats best is that they take this back to their nest and kill all the rest of their brothers and sisters, nirvana lol

Now i know there is an argument that roaches might drag this into the hive and for the record, ive used this with no problems. Thoughtful placement around the hive should reduce the risk.

As a side note if you have issues with roaches in the kitchen etc, just place this every meter (5 feet) or so where they walk and yr problems will be eradicated within a month. It does work.

Just an update on my cockroach feeding to Butcher Bird strategy.

Despite the many hundreds of cockroaches I caught in my back room where I process the bees wax, they keep coming. Not 60 a night, but a dozen or more every night.

I used to freeze the cockroaches before bagging them. Then dole them out to the Butcher birds, whenever they tapped on our window.

My strategy has changed. All I do now before going to bed is go out with my torch & put the lids on trapping the cockroaches. Then during the day, as the birds turn up, I just bring the saucepans out, one by one as needed, remove the lids & let the birds catch them live. They miss a few but that’ll teach them to be a bit quicker. Plus the ones they miss live to get caught another night.

1 Like

There must be a nest nearby and u will need to introduce some sort of poison to the roaches to eat and also take back to the nest which will then ultimately kill the brood and nest

Only way to permanently kill the nest, otherwise youll chase roaches tales, forever

I’m happy & the butcher birds are happy if I don’t use any poison. The butcher birds have to actually catch them live. That has to be better than feeding them on pet food or mince. If I have to chase roach tales forever, that’ll be like a gift that keeps giving.

Edit: Let’s go back to the good old days when there wasn’t so many poisons & chemicals used.

4 Likes