After a small harvest last year with 1st year hives, I was excited to see how well my only overwintered colony (4 losses out of 5 ) would perform with the flow hive. In only 4 weeks they filled the flow super wall to wall in all directions; there were only a couple of unfilled cells in the corners of the outer frames. It took them another 2 weeks to finish capping nearly all the cells.
It was 6pm before I finally got home and started cracking the flow frames. I tapped the middle 3 frames and opened the first 1/4 of each of them.
I opened another 1/4 at 15minute intervals
After fully opening the 3 frames, I went for a quick swim with the kids, and enjoyed a gin & tonic on the porch which the bees decided to join me.
At 8PM I went back out to collect the jars, and close up the hive.
During the harvest I noticed a few drops of honey leak out the end frames, but nothing very measureable. Not a single honeybee paid any attention to the harvest, although I killed 4 wasps that were investigating, and noticed a couple wasps and a bumble get chased away from the front of the hive by the ladies.
Total harvest was just over 10kg for the middle 3 frames; 20 375ml jars plus a little bit. It is amazing how clean and clear flow hive honey harvests, meaning absolutely no straining/filtering required.
Still 4 frames to go, but I need to get the honey gates installed on my collection jars first.
I believe our flow is slowing to a crawl now, so I’ll have to wait until next year to see another flow super filled. Hopefully our winter is a little less punishing next season.