Everything has been going well with my 2020 Russian NUC in my BeeThinking Deep. I am able to go and listening at least ever evening and then usually pop off the (north and south) windows to look in.
My girls have been building out the 2 foundationless frames on the north and south. I did and inspection this past weekend and found the inside of the new frames on the north just a little bit away from connecting complete on the bottom and lower sides.
Today I came home to liquid on the ground and a LOT of bees bearding on the outside. Much more outside than I expect to see for the temperature today.
It was probably 90F (we have had nearly 100F just a few weeks ago). I pulled the SBB and saw liquid (some syrup or not-yet-ready honey) along the outer edges of the insert, then I looked in the north window to see this horror:
I looked in the south side and saw the exact same horror. I know there were many capped and (maybe still) uncapped brood in these collapsed combs. Thanksfully when using a flashlight to look deeper in from the window I can see uncapped and capped brood the on the NUC (plastic foundation) frame.
To make things worse we have had several severe rain storms come in! While i was digesting this horror, one came in out of no where and I had to stand out in my garden with my kids purple kiddy pool (was in the garden shed) covering the bearing bees as they weren’t able to move in quick enough and I wanted to protect my girls.
For the night (since we kept having storms come through) I covered the hive in a way to help protect the bees until they are able to go back into the hive.
I also pulled the feeder out of the Medium at the top and slid in a queen excluder so the bees could travel into this empty medium for the night (if they are able to get from the entrance to this area, but I do think they are able too…just slowly).
I haven’t found anyone local to really connect with (aside from a nearby friend who is on her 3rd year (with new bees this year), so I instantly though I had better stop lurking and post for any advise/help.
While the bees are clearly (I can see them) working through this mess, I am thinking I will need to open the hive, and pull out all of this collapsed comb?
Should I just throw it away?
Should I see if any of the comb is OK and if so try to put it back into a frame (at the bottom and using twine to hold it)?
OK, to do this around 5PM (maybe as late as 6:30PM) tomorrow or wait until mid-afternoon this coming weekend?
Any advise, please and thank you in advance. I won’t be able to crack the hive open until around 5PM tomorrow night or as late as 6:30PM tomorrow because of work.