General Prep Area For FH 2

Good morning to all. So me and my queen/wife decided to prep and area in our backyard for our FH2. Upon doing some research, I used my iPhone compass to make sure we will position our hive NE. Any more ideas on positioning will be greatly appreciated. We laid down some lava rocks, and some white rocks which we will have plants surround the hive to also provide our bees with easy access to pollenate and also provide a tropical appearance.

2 Likes

In the US, you want the entrance facing south if possible. South east would be ideal, unless prevailing winds come from that direction. North east is for the Australians… :blush:

2 Likes

Oh thank you so much @Dawn_SD. Greatly appreciated. So the landing board side needs to be SourhEast @Dawn_SD? Again, I’m located In Charlotte, NC. :grinning:.

You are North of the Equator so it is best if the hive faces to the South. But don’t bother with a compass to get it exact. Anywhere from the SE to the SW will be fine and I would take into consideration any consistent wind direction and avoid that.
Cheers

2 Likes

Thank you @Peter48 and greatly appreciated as well.

1 Like

As @Peter48 Peter says, anywhere from Southeast to Southwest is fine. My hives face southwest, because that keeps the hive entrance facing away from footpaths and the main part of our garden. It isn’t critical, but northerly directions are the least preferable in the US, as on cooler days the bees will take a lot longer before they start flying. They prefer the entrance to be in sunlight, unless that exposes the hive to strong winds. Face the entrance away from the main wind direction if you can, and if you can’t, build a windbreak to shelter the hive from the worst of the weather. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks you again @Dawn_SD. Greatly appreciated all the great info you are providing me as Beek. :grinning: I can not wait to order my FH 2.

1 Like