Greetings from Germany

It is easy to make one like this:

Buy a 2 liter jar with a plastic lid. Then buy or borrow a 30mm (or 1 and 1/4") hole cutter drill bit. They are easy to find on Amazon and look like this:

Drill a hole in the plastic lid:

Obtain a length of 25mm internal diameter, 32mm external diameter food grade tubing from a home brew shop etc, or if you are in the US, I can tell you where mine came from (1" ID and 1 1/4" OD in the US). Push it through the hole - you may need to sand a little more if the fit is very tight. Screw the lid onto your jar. Push the Flow tube into the other end of the tube. If you want to plug off the top (Flow tube) end, there are lots of corks which fit just fine. :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Dawn. I just requested some tubing. Hope I donā€™t have to buy a whole 25m roll of itā€¦ I donā€™t need to buy tools, everything is already there, I have a quite well equipped workshop here ^^ And I can get food buckets with lids from my work. We purchase cream (for whipped cream) in 5kg buckets, on good days 2 or 3 of those will be emptied. I think they should be suitable for honey after being cleaned in the dishwasher. One of these buckets is already full of honey, I think if filled up to the rim it should hold 7kg of honey. You can see it on my last photo, and it contains 5,6kg now. Iā€™m trying to make creamy honey this timeā€¦

I learned the hard way as well @AngoraAngy
So, I made changes. Live and learn.

1 Like

Thanks. I finally found food grabe tubing available by the meter. Buying a whole 50m roll was a little too much of a good thing. Too expensiveā€¦ Now I got 5m and will do a little tinkering in winter, when I have some time to spare ^^

Spring is around the corner and my fingers are itchyā€¦ I wanted to remove my hives from the vegetable garden, where I put them to keep the dog away. Now Mr. Doggy is used to the hives and doesnā€™t chase bees or scratch the hive anymore, so the hives can be put somewhere more convenientā€¦
So I started digging despite the mud (the soil has just thawed and we had some rain the last few nights) and installed two concrete slabs, making sure they are perfectly horizontal lengthwise and slightly sloped to the back, to allow the flow frames to drain properly.

Then I moved the hives, cleaning the screened bottoms in the process.

One single bee came out harassing me. But it was a bit chilly, so she returned home quickly ^^ I picked this grey, chilly, but not windy day after a few days of warm sunny weather for the action, so the bees would have had their cleaning flight and not poo inside the hive out of fright, but were all inside the hive and none would get lost.
The lower box of the two-box-hive is empty, Iā€™ll replace the old comb with foundationless frames with a starter strip as soon as the weather allows for opening and working the hive. Iā€™ll replace the entire box, as itā€™s from a different manufacturer and it looks stupid this wayā€¦

The willows show first white tips. I hope they wonā€™t end up flowering in bad weather, so the bees would be unable to harvest themā€¦ Thereā€™s quite some rain in the forecastā€¦

These little spring flowers are called ā€œWinterlingā€ in German. I donā€™t know their english name. These are usually the very first flowers around here.
In my own garden is still nothing. Maybe because the dogs are trampling over everywhereā€¦ The fence needs to be fixed quickly!!!

3 Likes

My season started slowly. We had a very cold early spring, wild plum and cherry blossom went to waste, since the bees were not able to leave the hive and harvest. My hives started breeding very VERY late, it was not before mid march that the first little patches of brood appeared (instead of early february like normal). One of three hives was queenless, so I had to take one of the meager two brood frames of my strongest hive to requeen that one. Luckily it worked and by end of April all hives were busily buzzing. I put flow supers on two hives (the requeened one and the one that donated the recovering brood frame) end of April. The third, seemingly weak hive didnā€™t get one. End of May I checked again, finding it suitable to create two small splits out of the strongest hive, and I found some fresh nectar in the flow frames. I mixed new and formerly used frames in one super, the new ones were quickly accepted and being worked, whilst the used ones were already being filled. I decided to leave the bees alone as much as possible, plus got sick in between, so I wasnā€™t doing full checks until today. I was convinced they wouldnā€™t swarm, they were not strong enough und had plenty of room. I just took a glimpse through the windows into the flow supers from time to time - not finding anything going on -.- So I came to terms with not harvesting anything this year, but was satisfied with my hives surviving and thriving, hoping for a good harvest next year. So you can guess my feelings, when I found this today:

Those nasty little critters fooled me by leaving the outer cells empty! Nothing visible, but the frames are SUPER HEAVY!!! So heavy I dropped the flow super when I took it off for brood inspectionā€¦ It slipped from my hand right before I set it down on the turned over hive lid, which is good practise here to put boxes down. IF the queen fell out or honey leaked out, everything would end up on that lid and not get lost in the grass. In this case, a good amount of honey dropped out the flow super, but was caught in the lid instead of making a great mess in front of the hives, creating a danger of robbery. I was even able to pour the honey into a bowl to use it (although itā€™s not very clean, of courseā€¦)
Above is a formerly used frame, and this is a new one!

No difference in acceptance and filling. Except for the area with not properly closed cells. Obviously I wasnā€™t careful enough while installing them.

I left it this way, for the honey season will be over soon and there is still enough space left to fill. Iā€™m going to harvest by end of July and then take the super off. I have to admit that I still didnā€™t make the tubing systemā€¦ But I bought honey buckets with taps, so the honey will be harvested into these buckets, from which I can directly fill my honey jars without too much decanting losses.
The queen excluder was quite botched (is that a suitable word for this?)

I took a new one and scraped the honey comb off this one, put it into a sieve and now let the honey drip into my bowl.

Itā€™s not that much, but itā€™ll make a fine honey toast ^^

3 Likes

Tadaa
Not pretty, but I hope itā€™ll do. The tubes are shoved into the bucket, not short :wink: I cut them to some 50cm. With two buckets stacked theyā€™ll have the perfect height for my hive. Each bucket holds 12.5kg. I hope thatā€™ll do for one entire flow superā€¦

2 Likes

I got over 12 kg from 4 full frames, so you might be pushing it to get a whole super into one bucket. :smile: Depends on how long you let them drain, I suppose. I left my frames open for about 2.5 hours. The last half hour, I only got 500ml per frame more, but it was worth it to me as the water content was much lower in the last portion (16.5% vs 17.5% for the portion from the first 2 hours).

One more thought, you might want to shape some corks for the flow tubes not in use, so that bees cannot access the bucket while you drain. If this was my hive, I would drain no more than 3 frames at a time. I would then either put large corks into the Flow tubes or piping, or some other ā€œbungā€ into the lid holes for the other tubes. It may then take 2 days to drain the super, but that is better than flooding the hive with spilt honey. I actually prefer to drain 2 frames at a time, but I would be willing to do 3 if pushed. :wink:

Good luck!

1 Like

Hey Angy! Nice to see you :sunglasses: Happy for you and jealous about your nice full Flow frames!! Your harvest bucket is cool too :+1:

As for me, it looks like Iā€™ll have to wait until next year for honey - my bees didnā€™t come until end of April and although itā€™s been a decent flow until recently, they managed a good strong buildup but are still working on sealing up the Flow cell seams. If thereā€™s nectar in there, it ainā€™t much.

1 Like

@Dawn I have two of them, which can hold a total of 25kg (as stated by the vendor). Only made one tubed lid taken from a ketchup bucket of the same size, though (hence the different color), and left the original lids untouched to be able to tightly close the full buckets. Just take the tube-lid off the first bucket and put it onto the second one. I thought of connecting all tubes to frames, but opening sectionwise and slowly for preventing too much honey spill and changing buckets in time, before the first one overflowsā€¦
Closing unused tubes is a good idea, I already tried to figure something out, but corks never came to my mindā€¦ Sure, too obviousā€¦ :wink: However, Iā€™m not sure that I can get my hands on enough corks of the suitable size (I donā€™t drink wineā€¦)

@Eva Donā€™t worry, I got my first colony end of April last year and they had to seal up the brand new frames as well, and yet I got a very nice harvest at last. Donā€™t bother them too much and donā€™t depend on what you see through the windows. Just wait and check every couple of weeks, youā€™ll be surprised how fast theyā€™ll be filling once the sealing is done!

2 Likes

I bought these on Amazon. They fit the Flow tube perfectly:

:blush:

3 Likes

My bees are defensive and highly curious about the back of the hive during a harvest. I would not like to try to change the bucket half way through a harvest. I did have to change a jar - my 2 litre jar filled, and I had switch in another 1 litre jar to finish the harvest. It was very difficult not to dislodge the tube and leak honey down the back of the hiveā€¦ :blush:

You will decide for yourself, of course, but I would prefer to drain just the 3 frames and not change the bucket. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the encouragement @AngoraAngy, it really helps :blush:

ā€¦also enjoying the details you & @Dawn_SD and others have posted about procedures & considerations for harvesting - pocketing these for next year, thanks allā€¦

2 Likes

Thanks for the product hint, @Dawn.
Well, at one point or another I will HAVE to unattach the bucket. Of course, until I have enough experience on how much comes out of a frame and how much actually fits in one bucket, Iā€™ll drain step by step, frame by frame, slowly and carefully. I didnā€™t want to buy bigger buckets, they would become way too heavy for me.
My bees were not defensive, but curious. Plus the bees of other hives/split paid a visit, as well as some bumblebees and waspsā€¦ Thatā€™s why I needed a closed system. But I guess the short moment of bucket change wonā€™t be as attractive als one hour of non-closed harvesting. I had to stop at one point last year after the invasion got too intensiveā€¦

1 Like

I apologize if I am being annoying here, but I am not sure whether you and I are on the same page. Because my bees are defensive, I also built an enclosed system almost identical to yours, and my tubes are 10cm longer than yours (60cm per tube). The torque generated when moving the lid off the harvesting jar and onto a new empty jar needed lots of supervision of the Flow tube at the frame end and at least 2 people, even for one tube. Just a shame to lose honey and/or kill bees. :blush:

Here is the thread where we show some video of our harvest (not the whole extraction, though), in case you are interested:

The second video, further down the thread, shows us extracting 2 frames at once. It was tricky handling the tubes (so that they didnā€™t dislodge the next door tube) when the time came to switch the jars. :smile:

No no, donā€™t feel like that! You are not annoying, I enjoy constructive discussions. And I enjoyed your videos! :thumbsup:
Judging by the sound and movement of your bees, I would say mine are much calmer. I donā€™t need protection to harvest other than covering my hair to avoid bees getting caught in it, which always distresses them. Nor do I normally use gloves for inspection. (Which means sticky fingers from propolis and waxā€¦ :roll_eyes: ) I do use my blouse for brood inspections, mainly for the hair reason, but Iā€™m also calmer myself if Iā€™m sure no bee can fly in my face. And I pull my socks over the legs of my pants to not have curious bees crawl up my legs.
I admit I donā€™t know how the bucket will work. But you donā€™t twist the lid, you pull it upwards. Of course, this also poses a risk of pulling the tubes out! I guess itā€™s a good advice to have a second person at hand. Some members of my bee club are interested in watching my harvest, so there should be plenty of helping hands available :smiley:

2 Likes

What a bee yearā€¦
After that last inspection, that showed wonderfully filled and capped flow frames, so heavy I dropped the hones super, we had a long cold stormy period of heavy rains. I measured more than 30l/mĀ² in a single night, with the rain going on nonstop for several days. I was more fortunate than others, my basement was not flooded, nothing was damaged other than little items that were blown over the property. In other regions the firefighters had a lot to do, pumping water out of buildings, clearing roads from mud and fallen trees, rescuing people and so on.
The bees were trapped inside the hives for a long time, consuming the honey Iā€™m now glad I didnā€™t harvest before. They might have starved If I had!
I finally harvested on saturday. The guys from my bee club never managed to fix a date (thatā€™s one reason I waited so long), so I called my mom over to help with the buckets and tubes. It was easier than I thought, mainly because I didnā€™t have to change the bucket.

I put another bucket underneath the honey bucket. My first plan was to stack the honey buckets, but that seemed a bit more complicated when it comes to bucket exchange.
Mom put the tubes in quickly as soon as I got the caps off. Wasps were all around and crawled into the troughs if it took too long.

We harvested the mid 5 frames only, for the outer ones were hardly even filled. All went quite well, only the amount of honey was a bit disappointing at first glance. Only half a bucket. No need to change.

The honey is quite liquid. My refractometer turned out to be broken, Iā€™ll have to get a new one. A member of my club had hers at hand at our summer garden fest and measured my honey to have about 20-22% moisture. A bit too much for long storage, way too much for our german honey regulation. I canā€™t sell it :smiley: Iā€™ll hand a glass to my neighbour, who lets my harvest hay and fresh green food for my rabbits on his property the second year now. But thatā€™s about it, I canā€™t spare more. After having the honey sit for a while to allow wax and other parts to float to the top of the honey and exctracting the last two frames yesterday, I then filled the honey into glasses.

Roughly 7kg, including that half jar my mom took with her. And yes, the honey is really that dark. Tastes very rich, almost reminds me of cough syrup ^^ The bees must have visited my herbs very frequently. I guess thereā€™s also a part forest honey in it (e.g. lice poop :D)
I got a calibrated scale for that purpose, so I COULD sell honey according to our laws if I HAD enough.

Next year will be better, I hope. Iā€™m doing only late summer ant acid for varroa treatment this year. I think last year I did the december oxalic acid treatment wrong, maybe overdosed, thus killing off one queen and weakening the others. I created two spilts out of my strongest hive, but one didnā€™t make it and ended up queenless. I used those bees to strengthen the other split. Then I got two young queens and set up two new colonies, but one of those queens didnā€™t start laying. Again the remaining bees strengthened the other colony. I ended up with two successful splits, that were furthermore strengthened with a queenless hive I got from a fellow bee keeper. I shook all those bees off their combs near my hives. They gathered at my raised bed instead of begging into a hiveā€¦

I had to treat them like a swarm and brushed them into a split box. After adding a honey comb, the remaining bees started walking into the box and I shook them off again some days later, after having the split box sit on top of one hive. This time it worked better, they gathered at the hive front and then walked into the hive.

The hive is that tall because the queenless colony came with a box with top bars only and the comb was not removable. I put the small box into my langstroth box and mounted the broken but honeyfilled old combs into langstroth frames, which I then put into another box and installed those two boxes over foil with a small gap. So the bees would get up there to retrieve the honey, but would not start using those two boxes as part of their hive.
After all this fuzzing around the bees finally settled and all hives seem to be doing well now. Iā€™ll start varroa treatment as soon as the weather calms down. I refuse to open a hive during or right before a stormā€¦ :wink: I need to check if the splits have enough combs to store enough food. I donā€™t think theyā€™ll build more comb at this point of the year. Maybe Iā€™ll take some frames from the hive that had no honey super on. The colony has two brood boxes, but didnā€™t really fill them out at m last inspection, so they might as well winter in only one box and donate the other combs to the youngsters.
And thus I hope Iā€™ll have 5 buzzing colonies next year to yield much more honeyā€¦

4 Likes

One colony is set up at my mothers house, thatā€™s number 5. Only 4 are in my garden. We have not harvested momā€™s hive yet, so I donā€™t know how much is in it. However, that was the queenless hive, so I donā€™t think thereā€™s much honey in those frames. My mom refuses to do acid treatments on her hive, she wants to try natural methods like putting in ledum twigs. Weā€™ll seeā€¦

1 Like

Hey Angy! Great to read your bee story. The bit about treatment has me curious - when you have time, can you give more details about what youā€™re doing this year, as well as what type of & what you think went wrong with the oxalic acid treatment last year?

Well, I can only guess what went wrong last year. No proof possible.
I havenā€™t done anything yet, the weather is too unsteady. Windy, relatively cold - it makes the bees a little bit unfriendly, when I open a hive under such conditionsā€¦ We did, however, drain the flow frames on top of my mothers hive last weekend. She had about 2 spoons of honeyā€¦ Not a surprise, considering the rough start of this hive (queenless). But no matter what, the flow super had to be taken off. We did a full check and found a thriving brood nest and LOTS of bees. I had planned to reduce them to one brood box, but there were too many bees present. The lower brood box was not used for brood nor honey stores, there were no fresh combs built, so I WILL take it away in time. But Iā€™m going to wait until the colony gets smaller, so all the bees can fit into one box. They need a place to stay after all. My mum decided to not treat her hive with those natural acids we commonly use, but to try that plant everybody is talking about (ledum palustre). So we put a bunch of fresh twigs into the hive, spread evenly over the top bars of the frames. She bought several of these plants from a commercial breeder, we did NOT take this endangered plant from itā€™s natural environment! So now we have to wait and see what happensā€¦ Slider is in place, but oddly there are lots of bees coming out when itā€™s pulled. There must be some kind of entrance where itā€™s not supposed to be.

My four hives, located in my garden - now chickery (jay, I got me some little chickens a few weeks ago ^^) will be inspected and treated as soon as the weather changes. I have to take off the flow super, in which I left the flow frames in open position to prevent refilling. I have to check on food stores and feed them. I guess the two splits donā€™t have enough combs to store food, so Iā€™ll have to see where I can get them some drawn frames. Iā€™ll possibly reduce the weaker hive down to one brood box. They didnā€™t use the lower box on last check in june and I tried exchanging the boxes as advised in the Langstroth book I bought. Upper box to lower box. That is supposed to make them build more comb. I didnā€™t check on them in the meantime other than entrance observation and peeking through the foil from time to time.
One split still has two additional boxes on top in which I put the old combs of that queenless colony we shook off in front of the split. There was quite a lot of honey in them and I hoped they would take it to their new home. The old combs donā€™t fit into Langstroth frames, and they are already very dark, so I wanted to discard them. Iā€™ll see how much they did, if thereā€™s still much honey in there, Iā€™ll crush those black combs and feed them that honey back. As soon as they have enough combs, of courseā€¦
Varroa treatment is done by end of august latest, using ant acid apllied by a sponge cloth or a diffuser like this one: https://www.parzelle94.de/2015/08/milbentoeten-leicht-gemacht-die-varroabehandlung-mit-dem-nassenheider-verdunster/
I use the diffuser. They are filled with a certain amount of acid, calculated by the number of boxes. One mistake I made last year was forgetting the extra empty box I put over the diffuser. So I used to little acid, strictly speaking. I only took the inhabited boxes into account. Next mistake was leaving the extra box on too long. There was a sudden period of frost and the hive with the extra box (which I used for feeding candy after varroa treatment) died. I fed the other hives with a liquid food using special troughs, that didnā€™t have the cooling effect like the empty box. Then, I did the recommended winter treatment in december with oxalic acid, meaning I opened the hives in cold weather and dribbled the acid-sugar-mixture onto the bees. Thatā€™s what new beekeepers learn and what old beekeepers do. Oxalic acid is quite a hammer, you are advised not to use it more than once a year. Plus, I donā€™t think opening a hive under 10Ā°C is a good idea, nor is squirting a liquid on the bees that try to keep their winter cluster warm. I wonā€™t do that this year. I will do the ant acid thing, feed them - and then leave them alone until february.