Guidance/Assistance Required Re: My Current Temporary Setup, Mentoring Request, & also Honey Bee Guards

Hi Rodderick,
Thanks for the reply, appreciated. I’m getting mould on the underside of the lid to the hive, despite the FOUR breathing holes cut into it. Is this an issue I need to look into ???

Regards,

Eddy

Its pretty common for this time of the year, I was able to reduce the moisture and mould by installing a quilt and then an additional roof on top, the idea was to keep the internal roof at the ambient temperature of the hive as humid air condenses into water droplets on cooler surfaces. It seems to work however i still do get a little mould at the top but its not enough to really worry about. Something very similar to this:

1 Like

Right, thanks for that. I’ve already got no less than TWO roofs, one is the supplied that came with the knock off Flow set up, this sits on top of the new roof which is flat and has metal on top with two holes drilled in front and two in back allowing airflow, this lid does not get wet from the outside.
I guess I’ll just keep tabs on things and see how it develops. I KNOW, once summer comes, even spring, this mould will be cactus, as it gets bloody hot where my hive is. I put up an old beach umbrella to give them some relief from the heat, so that will make short work of any mould, cross fingers.

Cheers,

Eddy

2 Likes

I just came across your link and hope you have worked out your issues.
The knock off flow frames and wood ware is like chalk and cheese to the genuine article, it is a waste of time.
With your location you will need ventilation in the lid to give good ventilation to reduce the risk if mould. But also paint the kid white ti hep reduce hat in the hive .
As for re-queening as a commercial bee keeper in the queen the queen was terminated annually to have a maximum colony strength of bees and to prevent swarming. The fact is queen been can still produce a good number of bees for a second year and beyond for a number of years. If the colony has good producing brood of number if years in the past that are docile I would make a queen from her own eggs,
Formaldehyde was the the toxic poison that is in the following chip board, it i very toxic for bees, and can kill bees fast,
Hope it has been of help for you.
Cheers