Hello, new beekeeper here - South Florida

Hello I’m a new beekeeper in south Florida, hope to learn alot from everyone here.

2 Likes

Welcome you will find lots of experience here.

1 Like

Hi @Funguy1030 and welcome! How’s the weather down there in FL? I’m up in PA where spring is a bit slower to spring than where you are :smile:

Is your colony from a package or a nucleus (nuc)? And when did you set it up? Just curious how far along your adventure is, and I hope it goes well! Fingers and toes are crossed here that my last remaining colony out of four makes it -

1 Like

Well at the moment the weather is raining n breezy, as fa as my bees go I captured a little swarm as I have about 6 other much larger beekeepers around me, the bees seem to be doing well, my neighbor has two swarms one we got out of an old owl box and another one that just moved in to said owl box so tis the season for catching swarms.They are quite docile which is a good thing ,but stings are inevitable even w suits on lol them lil critters can find a way in every tim lol.

1 Like

Thanks I’m gonna need all that I can get :grin:

Welcome Funguy! The forum is a great source of support and knowldege :smiley:

2 Likes

The bees know what they are doing :wink:

The key is to know what the bees are doing :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Yes,and I have grown accustomed Amy morning coffee w my bees so I can do just that. Lol they are fascinating!

1 Like

Welcome abroad ! Ask away ! I’m up in Washington state so a bit of miles but basics are basic !

Enjoy,

Gerald

3 Likes

I do have a question about catching wild swarms. How do I keep them from swarming after I get them in a nuk?

If the hive is suitable for the colony size collected they should stay.
If it is too small of a space, they may move on.
If you stick a frame of fresh brood from another hive into the box, they will probably stay, subject to size above.
If they don’t like you they will leave.
How do you get them to like you?
Don’t disturb them !!!.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll keep this in mind

Adding a frame of brood if you have one is good insurance too.

2 Likes

Don … Terence hit the swarm keeping issue on the head. If you dump your new swarm/colony of bees in an adiquate sized hive 5,8,or 10 frame box with frames they tend to be happy campers n stay.

As a longer beekeeper I have a few extra drawn frames to add … Sometimes Ives added a cotton ball with lemon grass oil added in a sandwich baggie I poke holes in to allow the fragrance to mingrate out too. I actually do that in my several bait hives I keep near or around my Apiary .

… Hope these pix’s n notes are helpful Bro. Happy swarm hunting n good luck … We tend to not get many swarms in my region S.E. of Seattle anymore. Back in the 1950’s n 1960’s I could count on a couple or more per year. That’s surely changed with population growth n varroa nite spread.

Cheers,
Gerald

moving a small Nuc of bees to my brothers house n fruit trees.

2 Likes

Lar,

I live up in the northern hemisphere near Seattle so I don’t have a clue. Sure is pretty n I’m guessing so but not actual knowledge. Someone on here should answer up soon for you. Welcome up bro !!

Cheers,

Gerald

1 Like

Hey Funguy1030, I am wondering if you could give a potential new South Florida beekeeper any tips. Hopefully, you’ve figured a few things out since this post (if you’re still beekeeping).

I haven’t even chosen a hive yet, considering where to put it (under a tree possibly), if additional vent holes in the hive will be necessary, etc.

Thanks in advance, from Loxahatchee
Rob

1 Like

Hello Robert,
I’m out here in the Lox as well I only have a couple hives but I keep mine next to bamboo palms one on the east side of my property and the other on the west. Also all of my bees I have are wild I do not buy packaged bees, as swarm season is upon us.Also I believe they have very knowledgeable people at you farm on seminal prat. Please feel free to email me at donpurbaugh@gmail.com I will do my best to answer any other questions for ya.
Thanks,Donald