Hi from Tracy in Texas

I’m Tracy in Texas and will need to hang out in the dumb bunny newbie sectors. I emailed my friend a week ago and said I was going to get some bees in the spring and she sent me the flow vid. I’d seen the introductory video a year ago, but had forgotten about it.
I’m reading through the topics so my questions won’t be too dumb! I’ve identified the county bee expert, but haven’t contacted him yet, because I’m going to get the flow set-up, but don’t know what to tell him I will need from him.

Hi Tracy,

I am Marty, I am in Dallas. Where are you. Yes big state :slight_smile:

Hi Marty, I’m a tad south of big D, in Henderson Co., near Cedar Creek Lake. I’m out doing the rain dance today, hoping this system dumps lots of rain on my little patch of real estate. Are you N,S E or West of the city, I don’t go very often–not happy with your traffic, construction or tolls!

I actually work near downtown Dallas, I live in far North Dallas. Are you a beekeeper now? When do you expect to get your flow I’ve? Are you getting the full set up or just a couple of flow frames?

I am totally new to this so I’ve been going to the Collin County beekeeping group meeting that happens once a month and McKinney. Went to Houston for the class that was taught in the spring and hopefully go back again this coming spring. I’m getting the full flow I’ve set up for I am 100% new to this. I’ve ordered a nuc, and I expect to get it in March, my flow hive is due to arrive in December

Hey Marty, I’m in north Houston close to Conroe in I 45

Great to see Texans on board! I’m a total beginner. What I’m trying to determine is if I go full-on Flow system, what other stuff I may need from the local ole’timers (besides hands-on experience). I do not even know the lingo yet, boxes, nuc’s, brooders etc!
My plan is to study up on the craft of the beekeeping during the winter (well yea, if you can call it such in Texas) and then start my beekeeping in spring.
I got nuthin’ to eat for any bees, so I’ve identified a great supplier of bee yummies, gmo-free seed that I’m ordering, so I can cover a portion of my 10 acres with bee-type flowers.
I’m surrounded by cow pastures!

Hello Y’all! I’m Herman and live south of Austin…in Buda. I too am to receive my Flow Hive in March 2016. I’m sure glad they’ve created this forum.

There’s a guy just south of me in North Dallas that’s also on this forum. He and I have been trying to connect so that potentially we could review each other’s hive to understand if ours is doing well. Everything I’ve heard people say is you should have 2 just to compare. I don’t have the space really for 2, may eventually understand space is not a constraint. Be nice to see if there’s other people from Texas on here so we can learn from each other

I attended the beekeeping class in spring just north of Houston put on by the Texas beekeeping Association, did any others?

Hi Tracy, one of the problems I’ve seen with my beekeeper friends that have almost pasture only is that they do have to feed constantly. Their honey is really “light” in color and taste as opposed to those of us who have a forest around. So by all means, the best you can do is plant bee friendly flowers and consider trees too, like peaches, magnolias , and such…

Pine trees also help a lot because the bees get the sap. That makes a really dark and tasty honey, like mine (not bragging!)

Thanks Mario, I’d been feeling defeated trying to grow anything with such dry conditions as I’ve had here in the Texas outback, but got reinvigorated after finding the “back-to-eden” garden system-it uses wood chips as a covering to hold moisture and improve soil. I’ve had 4 loads delivered!
I’m putting in 1,000 pine seedlings from arborgen (close by in Texas) and seed from these guys, non-gmo bee mixes, by region.

It may take some time though for any of that to be viable “bee-food”.

After only a few weeks with the wood chips down, I’m seeing soil improvement already (I recommend for anyone else dealing with dry conditions).
This was a concern, thanks for the tip, it’s really brutal in late July, August, nothing but “goat weed”.

Yes, try figs, peaches, olives and maybe nuts and grapes. Those do well in dry areas… By the way, checkour campaing on Indiegogo look for Hive Genie and join us…!

Thanks Mario, if you talk with your friends (with pastures) in addition to pines and fruit trees, any other tips from them. I know my challenge will be August and Sept. as it dries out around here. Do they use standard equipment? I’m just one of those blindly optimistic types, I think I’ll figure it out eventually, so will plan as best I can to provide bee food/flowers and trees.

Marty, it would be great id you can share everything from start to finish, for the beginners!!

They do have a garden with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, melons etc… Use standard Langstoth equipment and stay there. That way you will be able to interchange (buy or sell) from other beeks. I have only 8 frame hive, they are 20% lighter. Consider that. I only do deeps, but other only do mediums. Standardization helps a lot…