Hi all, planning where best to locate my hive when it arrives. Based on advice in this forum and other reading I have two kind of OK spots but each has drawbacks.
Would love some thoughts…
I made a mud map for a visual reference:
- Western side of our house, facing south towards a fence
- Shaded in summer from about 1pm onwards. Doesn’t get direct morning sun until 10am+ due to our 2 storey house.
- 1m+ gap all sides providing easy maintenance
- Not much night time light
- Not much foot traffic, gate is rarely used
- Won’t bother neighbours
- Air-conditioner condenser/outside unit approx 3m away
- Against western fence, facing west
- Morning sun to get them started on back of the hive - but not directly on the front as it faces the fence
- 30cm or less distance to fence
- Dappled shade from noon from magnolia trees in summer
- Much closer to the main area of the house with lights on at night time, and also our rangehood which is mounted outside leading to moderate noise that I thought might annoy them.
- Closeness to the fence would make it tricky to observe the front of the hive.
Location A could be north facing except it would be directly at our clothesline.
Location B could be east or north facing but would look directly at the house and nigh time lighting
Tricky - appreciate any thoughts, or other spots that people think might be worth considering.