Hive stand considerations

I want to buy a hive stand for my flow hive. What is recomended?

Depends partly on what you want. One of my hives is on a stack of cinder blocks, which I painted to make them look better. The other one is on a wood frame stand. Both are fine. What you need is a stand about 14-16" high to put the entrance at a level which makes skunks and possums vulnerable to bee stings if they try to eat the guard bees.

1 Like

There are a few hive options on the market but I just use besser blocks or I think you call them cinder blocks in US. They work well for me but it will depend on what animals you there that are likely to interfere with your bees. I would join a local beekeeping club and see what they use.

1 Like

Finally got the time to start the hive stand last night. Made of red cedar. tung oil should be here monday so i can get it coated.
i added a little shelf on the back so i can set the jars for collecting honey.

5 Likes

*Making mental note; build the stand with room for jarā€¦

I donā€™t know how I could have forgotten that but I did. Been mentally planning the stand for the hive and where it will go for months. NEVER once thought about the shelf.

Yours looks really nice.

1 Like

really simple and i also made sure to add some space on the sides for laying tools on or placing my smoker on. most of my hives are set on wooden stands that are missing this and i mostly place things on the ground. this keeps things in hands reach and i dont have to bend over every time i need something. thinking of also addiing 2 small removable metal bars on each side like the ultimate hive stand so i can hang my frames on instead of placing them on the ground.

so when you do that thing with the metal bars you ARE going to post a picture, right?

; -)

I like open hive stands so that with the screen floor mites and hive detritus fall through.
These are my standsā€¦lots of room :smile:

3 Likes

yes mine is completely open as well. the hive rests on the from and back beams i also added a cross beam in the middle. the screened bottom board is completely exposed to the open air under the stand.

all it would be for the frame holder is as shown in the picture bend one end of the metal bar at 90 degrees. drill a hole in the wood so the metal bar can be inserted and done your frames are no longer on the ground. if you want to get fancy you can route out a little channel that the metal can sit in so that it will keep the exact spacing needed for a frame.

2 Likes

Got it! Thanks for the pic.

I was going to use the weight of the hives to put a shelf under the SBS (Screened Bottom Board). Aluminium or some such light weight material like a plastic chopping board or even a thin cantilever shelf of some kind - I havenā€™t started thinking much about it yet

Far too nice to be putting it outside in the weatherā€¦ You will probably need another lightweight stand to put next to your hive when inspecting, this stand to be used to set the Flow Super on so you can get to brood chamber without having to set it all the way down on the ground.

30 dollars in lumber and 2 hours of my time i think it will look nice in the garden and last long enough.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got access to plenty of 100x100 hard wood, thinking of building like a pigstied stand , thoughts?

This is great! Thanks for sharing the idea and the pics. Do you have width/depth dimensions for the top piece that the hive sits on? (which includes space for the jars, smoker, tools, etcā€¦)

i kinda made it on the fly. ill take some measurements tonight and post.

i applied tung oil diluted 5050 with citrus solvent last night it looks pretty good.

Any luck on those measurements? Iā€™m anxious to build one myself.

5 Likes