Hive stand considerations

thats very cool! i like it

My simple hive stand: 4 Besser blocks & 2 pieces of 4x2 hardwood… 4x2 for long stands of say, 6 hives… 2x1.5 for short stands up to 3 hives.

1 Like

Thanking of getting this for my hive stand, Any thoughts? It seams cheep enough and sturdy with room to work.

2 Likes

Looks good if it is wide enough to provide good support. I bought one of these $80 rustic, but very sturdy stands:
http://www.foxhoundbeecompany.com/langstroth-beekeeping-supplies/folding-3-hive-stand

Shipping increased the cost a lot (almost double), but the basic stand price was so good, I didn’t mind. The owner is involved in every sale and was very good at communicating. Highly recommended.

Dawn

1 Like

this is 12" deep so the boxes would hang over by 4" front and back

This is the one I have (two actually) they are big enough for 3 x 10 frame Langs or 4 x 8 frame Langs
http://www.mannlake.co.uk/beekeeping-supplies/product/WW-334.html

Sounds acceptable, although the landing board would extend that overhang a bit. The other thing to consider is the load rating. 225 pounds would be best for just one hive. A full 8 frame medium super can weigh 40-50 pounds. I would imagine the flow frame super could be 60 pounds or more. If you ran double deeps for brood, as most in the US do, you might have another 100-130 pounds below the flow super. My maximum setup would be 2 deeps for brood, then the flow frame super, then a standard medium super on top - total could be as much as 210+ pounds. I would worry about the stand over time with that weight, but it might be just fine to start, and also fine if you stick to one hive.

Dawn

Yes, simple, moveable and stable

1 Like

Well, I was looking to make it nice looking and did not thing CMU block and concrete deck post holders look good. But most important to me to function and durability as well. This is a clear case where I want Funtion to over rule Form :smiley: I will be using 2x8 Cedar to span between the block.

All the comments help me make my mind up, I will post what I will be doing or done soon

I have assembled my flow hive and the stand I have designed is fit to it. I have read all your post and gone to various sites and I greatly appreciate all the help since I am new to this totally. I am fortunate to have a stock of rough sawn 1" Locust so that will be my building material. I think the stand needed: shelf in back to hold jars, shelf in middle to hold tools and misc., location to place top box if I need to access bottom one and adequate construction to hold the weight and tolerate outdoor exposure. I am still thinking about a few things so this is not final. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated since it will be easier to change before I build it.

Got done building my hive stand today and it’s all from scrap wood and steel we have around our place. It is currently in our garden shed with a coat of Tung Oil (had extra) waiting to dry.
The area to the left of the hive is for me to set my Mediums later on when I need to do inspections (I’ll just toss a lid or sheet of wood down first) and then to the right I used some old shelving parts to create a frame hanger in case I ever need it.
There is wood to the left and right of the hive (with about 1/4" gap on each side) to help keep the hive from blowing over before it’s filled and heavy. I plan to hammer the post legs about 10" into the ground.

2 Likes

Looks good! It is great to repurpose/recycle/reuse things. That is why I am a hoarder! :blush:

1 Like

Yeah we have a lot of random scraps of thing to build with.

Hi davidlx, could you send over a photo of the finished stand? i just ordered a flow hive and i’ve been obsessing over what kind of stand to build - thanks!

I found this patio foot stool on sale at Biglots for $9.80 once the seat cover is removed (couple of screws) it makes a perfect hive stand (at least for my 8bar hives, have not tried a 10 bar hive).
Image here

The stool is not available from the website anymore, but you might get lucky in your local store.

2 Likes

Hey @gflater, maybe you could post a picture of your hive setup with the stool.
There are other hive stand alternatives in this post.
http://forum.honeyflow.com/t/beehive-stands-are-they-necessary/1484

After looking at the foot stool stand, I’m thinking it might require a brace on both sides close to the bottom to stop the feet from spreading. There could end up being a lot of weight on that stand.

Here is a snap of the stand Ive just made up using the design at:

The pine has been treated with Tall Earth wood protector, that gives the normal pine colour a silver grey tone over time.

2 Likes

Nice job Andrew, do you have a slight slant on your stand to allow any water inside the hive to run out the entrance?