Hive stand considerations

thanks Rodderick, at the moment it is all square and straight. I was thinking I might tilt it towards the flow side (ie backwards not forwards) and make a new base board and route the bottom panel to slope forward even though the hive itself will be laid back at the 4-5 degrees recommended to harvest, if I can set the guide on the router against a steady line should be achievable. Ive also bought some nice redwood cedar to make a landing base, but want to integrate it with a SHB trap under the base once the full kit arrives, so will tweak the design once I get a clearer idea of all dimensions. Faroe from the Flow Team advised the base length but the specific height will give me an an idea of where the base and landing board need to meet and what angle I need to set.

2 Likes

I stood on the stool with my +200 lbs and it did not give way and seemed very stable. Sure it can handle 2 or 3 boxes.
The forum does not allow me to upload pictures since I am a new user, i will make some more posts and upload the pictures.

Here we go :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My only criticism would be that this will make fore a very challenging setup with the flow system. The Flow drains out the back, away from the entrance. With your setup it will have to drain forward toward the entrance. This could be problematic. You should think about allowing room to access from behind or turning the hive so that the entrance is parallel with the side of the house.

Thanks! Yes indeed, I would not use this location for my flow hive, this is just to demonstrate the hive on the stool/hive stand.

2 Likes

Found this simple looking hive stand today:

New to bee keeping, but here is my stand . Made out of 2X4 and 1/4 plywood. height is 30"