Honeyflow.com | FAQ's | Community |

Honey Flow Problems - the solution


#1

I have just let the honey flow for a third time since buying the Flow Hive.
Every time I have the same problem - bees drowning in my jars. It’s supposed to be a simple procedure - but it’s not. Bees will always find a way to the honey flowing from the plastic pipes, and get swept away.
I figure the plastic pipes need to be redesigned - in a downward curve, so as to reach into the neck of bottles or jars. To then cover the open neck of the jar/bottle will be a damn sight easier.
Does anyone have a better idea ? or know whether a different pipe (as suggested above) is available ?

Fred.Oertli.Sydney


#2

I use food grade vinyl tubing with mason jars and plastic lids with a hole cut in them (by me). Most brewing specialists stock the tubing, but I bought it from an online US supplier, as i don’t home brew. :smile:

Here is a video to prove that it works, even with angry bees:


#3

Hey Fred, I agree with Dawn 100%. For Flow Hive to redesign the tube that it reached down to your jar would be useless for me draining my Flow Hives into a 25 litre bucket, everyone would want a different length of extension tube.
I bought a metre and a half of food grade tubing and cut a couple of holes that the tube is a snug fit into the lid of my honey pail and it fits over the Flow tubes. With the lid on the honey pail it is impossible for a bee to get to the honey and I drain two frames at a time.
Regards


#4

I punch a hole near the bottom of a sealable plastic bag to thread the tube through and put the bag over a 3l jar, sealing it off by winding the double chux cloth I cleaned the honey collection channel with around the jar.
Not always will the bees come investigate, but if they do, they can’t get in, neither can the ants.
As I wash the plastic bags for reuse and the tube hole gets larger with use, I seal it off with a rubber band.
Works real well.
You never know when the bees and ants discover your harvesting.


#5

This is what I do. Usually have 3 tubes going at once and put a sheet around and over to keep bees out of the honey pots.setup2


#6

here I am to the rescue. Whilst I admire Busso’s DIY spirit- I truly feel there is an easier way… I am all for the easy way- sometimes I get into strife- but not with my flow solution… and here it is:


bucket, lid tubes, golf balls to block unused holes. Ideally get a bucket with a honey gate installed. You can also put a sieve/filter inline to filter the honey as you extract it. Simple and bee proof. You can leave this set up draining overnight if you like- assuming ants don’t find it- with a few tweaks it would be ant proof too.


#7

That’s great idea and I did try it and is by far the easiest and quickest.
However I prefer to tap individual flow frames and mark them 1-6 with the date. I have found that apart from the massive flow of Marri (where all frames fill from the same tree so to speak) each frame does taste different and it is fun to pick the different tastes


#8

You could use my contraption with smaller 3kg buckets if you wanted to :face_with_monocle::smirk:

I usually harvest two at a time but have harvested just one at times


#9

Hi Fred we use 20mm electrical bends and 20mm conduit cut to length, they fit perfectly over the flow tube. Just push fit no glue. We thorougly clean them and have multiple lengths for different jars. We then place a plastic lid with a 25mm hole drilled in it on top of the jar. Never have a problem.
See pic attached. You can buy from Bunnings.I am a sparky hence I am familiar with the fittings.


#10

I do my extraction identical to you and never had a bee even interested in trying to get into the pail. It is such a simple concept. I crack a couple of frames then go onto other chores in the apiary while the honey drains.
Cheers Jack


#11

You and me both… I use thoroughly cleaned recycled bread bags and this works perfectly for me. No bees can get in to the jars. I use a large enough jar that I can harvest a whole frame into it. I used to use a couple of pieces of cling wrap to wrap around the jar top and tube but I find this new method much better and I like to reuse the bag a time or two before I recycle it.


#12

Your honey looks beautiful! :smiley:


#13

Love the Carlton advertisement Gaz :sunglasses:


#14

Hi Peter yes that is my real job at the Brewery. I crack a frame or two then a Carlton Mid and kill some time.


#15

2 frames into one bucket? Seriously?:scream:


#16

I’ve even done SIX :sunglasses: Seriously


#17

Doesn’t need to be complicated Fred, I don’t use any fancy pipes or jars. Just the supplied tube, a bucket and a tea towel. The difference is I do it at night when the bees are less active and do not fly. The bucket is wide enough to drain 3 frames at a time. The tea towel is to cover the bucket whilst the honey is draining, I head back inside the house to resume watching TV with a cup of tea :yum:


#18

Oh Rodderick all this simplicity and efficiency what’s wrong with you guys.

Any work needs organisation. Say I want to drain the frames of the Flow Super. First step is to work out how it is to be done ( a spreadsheet is a must here to reference the critical path ). Then draw out the critical path.
This is one I used:critical%20path%20copy

Then construct all the necessary equipment and jigs required. If it doesn’t involve sawing, screwing, gluing, swearing, over a couple of days and at least two models of everything, you have got it wrong…Go back to first step.

This is nothing like I explained above. You need a rethink here. :wink:


#19

Here’s a quick and cheap solution for you :slight_smile:


#20

I did this method! I started to extract and the wind kicked up and blew the honey away from the jar so this method is great. :smiley: