How often do you harvest?

How often do you harvest the honey from one hive? How long does it take to bees to fully make it?

I think they already provide answer in the FAQ
[check this link:][1]
[1]: http://www.honeyflow.com/faqs/p/22?tag=23

:smiley:

Cheers! oops, i didnt notice

1 Like

I was always taught Dexter, that there were no silly questions, only silly answers.

Hmmm…
:scratch head:

1 Like

As a chef my most commonly asked question is “How long do I cook it?”. The answer is always the same “Cook it until it’s done.” LOL not a very satisfying answer for the questioner but same is true of bees and honey I suppose.

@AudreyRose Look for fully capped honey on the flow frames as long as it’s capped it is ready to harvest. How long that takes will depend on your bees and your areas nectar flow. The more industrious the bees and the more blooming forage in the area the faster they will fill it up and cap it. Bad weather, pests, diseases, robber bees, wasps etc can all slow down or stop honey production for a time.

2 Likes

@AudreyRose Audrey don’t take all the honey the bees still need to live and that is their pantry so make sure there is plenty of honey for the bees especially going into winter.

1 Like

I was also wondering about that, so thankyou! Will do :smile:

Thanks for your help everyone!

If you ask me as you say As a beekeeper, it is best for harvesters to wait for the bees to collect as much organic honey as they can. It is best if you can wait for the final nectar flow, but at the same time you have to be mindful of waiting too long to harvest. If possible, it is best to remove the honey no later than mid September; two reasons exist for this.

First, when the winter season begins to approach, your bees will begin to consume the honey that they have made during the summer months. If supers are left in the hive for too long, the bees will begin to consume the honey they have made.

The second reason is that when the weather gets too cold, you are no longer going to be able to harvest honey, and will lose what was produced during the season by your bees.

Although it is a delicate time frame that you have to work with, you have to be mindful of moving in too soon. If you harvest honey prior to the 80% capped honey mark, you run the risk of bees no longer producing for the season. But, you want to harvest prior to the winter months, to avoid loss as well.

The best months are probably late July, August, and up to mid September. Not only will this result in the full frame, it will also ensure you will not lose the honey due to the weather conditions in the following months.

If the bees eat their own honey then let them, it is their food after all you are stealing - if you leave the bees without enough honey they will starve in winter and will have to feed the sugar syrup!!

That is like taking your Kids balanced diet away from them and feeding them cake - they may survive on it, but it is not quality food nor nutritious.

I have had to feed my bees lots of sugar syrup as they had precious little stores after a very bad year. They will be perfectly OK with that sugar,What is more important is pollen in the spring for brood rearing. I wouldn’t dream of taking all their honey but there is nothing at all wrong with sugar

1 Like

Me too, especially as I run 14x12s but we both had to feed this year

1 Like

Hi Audrey, once you have a good strong colony of workers, the bees can fill a box of honey, fully capped in a couple of weeks in a real good honey flow. I get reasonable honey flows where I am, it might take a month, sometimes 2 or 3 months. I’m robbing my bees/harvesting the honey every couple of weeks, sometimes longer. I check every hive & only take the frames that are ready (ripe) to rob. Sometimes the frames I left behind this time are ready next time or the time after. So to answer your question, it depends on the strength of the colony & the available nectar the bees can make honey from.

Very good to know, thankyou :slight_smile:

Fantastic info! Thanks so much

No, because you are a responsible beekeeper. Check the stores going into winter. I weigh my boxes, and act accordingly.